iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

you have the right to decline.  It is a world wide pandemic and many have died.  It was developed and implemented under an emergency drug use, so we are still finding out more as we move forward.  all drugs are monitored for unforeseen side effects.  you have to weigh the risk of the medication vs the risk of the disease.  for many it appears the drug helps protect us from the disease.  this drug helps prepare your immune system to combat the disease.  it is therefore defined as a vaccine.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

Doc; You have a very good and informative thread going here, it's one of the threads I catch every day!

Thank you so very much for keeping it going, I know you put in a lot of time here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ljohnsaw

California opened it up to 16+ as of today.  I got on late last night and made an appointment for my 17 y.o. son for Tuesday afternoon and my 29 y.o. daughter got on and booked a Tuesday morning appointment.  There were a few for Saturday but that timing didn't work for either.  Guess they take Sundays and Mondays off.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

Quote from: clusterbuster75 on April 15, 2021, 08:07:30 AM
I would say don't take the vaccine, but it is not a vaccine. It is not.  Calling it a vaccine makes it sound like something you've had before. It is not. It is an experiment, and I will not participate
Quotevaccine

/ˈvaksiːn,ˈvaksɪn/

noun

From the actual definition of a vaccine, that's what it is ( a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease)
So there are several methods used to create vaccines, but all the current Sars-Cov2  vaccines are basically synthetic, or a different and "mostly harmless" virus that's been modified to "look like" the Sars-Cov2.   

So a vaccine is never "something you've had before". It's "something" you are given before you might be exposed.  This triggers a mild immune response, so when the body is exposed to the real virus, it's "trained" to fight it off (even if not fully immune, a better response / less serious illness) 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Claybraker

I recently spoke to a young lady maybe 30 or so, she has Hashimoto disease, syndrome, whichever. She was advised by her medical care team to wait for more data. My medical support team had no reservations about me getting vaccinated. So I did at the first opportunity. As Doc has said repeatedly medical science will know more in about 10 years.

YellowHammer

Well, this week we have personal knowledge of two confirmed cases of Brazilian strain here, one confirmed by genetic analysis in a patient that already had Covid 19, about 3 months ago, and another one in a person who had their double dose of vaccines and still got Brazilian.

So, Doc, does the vaccine have some effectiveness against Brazilian, but at a reduced rate, or is it not effective at all?  Same question with the person who previously had Covid, would he have had some inherent immunity, but it just got through, or does previously having Covid 19 not give any protection against the Brazilian strain?  I thought I heard Dr. Fauci say the vaccines had more off strain immunity than people who had Covid 19, but my GP told me the exact opposite, and said the antibodies from having Covid 19 are stronger than the vaccine.  Either way, these two people got Brazillian.   Or is there just not enough data to tell?  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ljohnsaw

My cabin helping buddy got his second shot on Monday.  First shot, no side affects.  Second shot, he was down with a fever for two days, sleeping probably 20 hours each day.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brucer

We don't know enough about the P.1 (Brazilian) variant yet.

It showed up in BC back at the end of February when 11 cases were reported. Since then it has doubled every 6.5 days and is now up to 1510 cases. BC was finally coming down off the peak of the second wave and had just leveled off about the time the P.1 variant showed up. We're now well into the 3rd wave.

The latest report I saw says P.1 is 2-1/2 a times a infectious as the original strain. That pretty much fits with the numbers I've been crunching. The problem here is that the new strain is spreading so quickly it's hard to get a handle on it.

Initial reporting suggests that the vaccines at least reduce the severity of the illness, but I don't think there are enough cases to say for sure.

The two hot-spots for P.1 outside of Brazil are Florida and B.C. It's already starting to take hold in Alberta and is showing up in other provinces to the East.

Barb & I have both had bouts of mild fatigue after getting the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on the weekend. Not enough to slow us down much. I had a mild headache this morning but it was gone by noon. My son-in-law's father had a slight rash around his wrist on the arm where he got jabbed. That faded in a day.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 15, 2021, 10:50:00 PMdoes the vaccine have some effectiveness against Brazilian, but at a reduced rate, or is it not effective at all?

The vaccines "should" work against the current strains of the virus. They work by training the immune system to recognise a particular spike of protein that the virus uses to enter the bodies cells. When your immune system sees that particular configuration again, it recognises it as foreign, and attacks it.  Hopefully before it really gets a hold (enough to make you sick) , or even if the response is a bit slow, you should be able to fight it off without dying. 

Now a mutation that had a different "protein spike" would not be recognised, but that would basically need a completely different virus structure, not just a minor change. So I'm hoping the mutations are more about how transmissible the new version are. Maybe they can live on door handles for longer, or survive airborne for another 2 yards? Something that makes them easier to catch, not more deadly or vaccine resistant. 

But currently no one knows that for sure. Until a heap of vaccinated people either get, or hopefully DONT get, the new versions it's only an educated guess. If high numbers of vaccinated folks start coming down with the variant, that will be an "Oh Crap" moment, and need a tweak of the vaccines. 

Figures out today on the vaccine side effects so far in NZ. 
135,000 shots given. 
215 "Adverse Reactions" of which 6 were "serious"  (Mostly allergic shock, and treatable) 

I guess a lot of recipients wouldn't have reported minor side effects like fatigue or a sore arm, as they were expected. 
QuoteThe most frequently reported adverse event was dizziness (49 reports), followed by headaches (37), nausea (36), fainting (22), faintness (9), redness ( 8 ), fatigue ( 8 ), fever ( 8 ), pain at the injection site ( 8 ), and swelling ( 8 ).
Now it doesn't mean that the vaccine caused 22 people to faint. The needle might have done that without the vaccine. :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: Claybraker on April 15, 2021, 07:25:30 PMshe has Hashimoto disease, syndrome, whichever. She was advised by her medical care team to wait for more data

Hashimoto Disease is an auto-immune condition. Means a persons immune system is out of whack somehow, so no one knows what the vaccine might do to them (or the actual virus if they catch that). 

She might be one of the people that need to rely on "herd immunity", after the rest of us get vaccinated.  

peakbagger

Well I guess I am unlucky on the Pfizer shot for side effects. I felt fine after the shot both times but just under 2 days after I got big time vertigo. It took 4 or 5 days the first time around to get over it. I am just starting into it this time around but have a few days of down time planned in case it happened again. I did some research and its looks like its 1 in 10 odds. Its not something I could work through. Along with the vertigo is increased tinnitus (ringing ears).  

Ianab

Vertigo / dizziness does seem to be a common side effect. 

Remember when we took kids in for their MMR etc shots, and they might be grumpy and unsettled the next day? 

No reason think the Covid vaccine will treat us any different. Just now you know why your 2 year old was grizzly after their shots.  :D

peakbagger

I think the key thing with vertigo is its not something a person can grit their teeth and work through it. If someone gets it they need downtime until it goes away.

Chuck White

I used to have Vertigo episodes every once in a while, it STARTED way before I got my COVID shots.

My doctor prescribed 25mg Meclizine, ½ tablet 3 times a day, now I get by very well with twice a day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

RichTired

Got my 2nd Moderna shot today. Hoping all goes well.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Ed_K

Rita had her second shot yesterday, so far no side effects. Never had ay problems with the first one said it wasn't as bad as a tetnus shot.
Ed K

Peter Drouin

Got my #2 shot over two weeks ago and my left shoulder is still sore, Hard to sleep on,

And what is normal blood pressure?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

blood pressure is more controversial than most realize.  the older you get, the higher numbers we can tolerate.  if you are 30, we want it low like 120/60 to help you live another 40 or 50 years without a stroke or heart attack.  As the arteries become less elastic (hardening)  there is less ability to stretch and store the pressure (like an expansion tank on a well system).  so there will be less flow from the stored energy and the top number rapidly falls to a lower bottom number.  the top in the highest pressure at the end of each heart beat, and the bottom number is the lowest pressure until the beginning of the next heart beat.  that is called the pulse pressure.  so if your heart rate slows, you may pass out from the bottom number going to low (zero).  this can be from meds, and or age related electrical heart disease.  you may have a weak heart and or leaky valves.  this is where the phrase, "it is hell getting older"  comes from.  a pacemaker can help with the rate.  If you are 100 years old, you prob. have have a little or a lot of all the above.  God love you! :)  so my goals for your bp if I were your doc would depend on you age and co morbidities.  your blood pressure is your normal, the question is will you do better over the long haul if it were lower.  If you pass out each time you stand up, that is not good either.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Peter Drouin

Thanks for the info, With that my 147 over 92  hart rate at 70 for a 66-year-old is good, :)

I have that vertigo too. Stiff in the neck and tired.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

firefighter ontheside

Not terrible, but your diastolic of 92 is a little high.  We expect to see systolic go up as we get older, but we want the diastolic to stay a little lower.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

doc henderson

i agree, but see what it does when you are not getting a shot ect.  we have folks that check it at home and it is n a little high.  so they check it every 5 minutes and it goes up.  they call their daughter to come over and it goes up, they go to a fire station and they take it and it goes up more and they recommend they go to the ED, and it goes up even more.  we plunk them in a room and watch for 2 hours and it comes down to a reasonable level and we have them follow up with their doc, and tell them (tongue in cheek) to stop checking it!  :) :) :) .  

Roxie

Cowboy Bob had what his doctor called white coat syndrome. He was good at home but under medical watch nervous enough to be a concern. 

Stress matters. 
Say when

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: doc henderson on April 24, 2021, 12:29:02 PM
i agree, but see what it does when you are not getting a shot ect.  we have folks that check it at home and it is n a little high.  so they check it every 5 minutes and it goes up.  they call their daughter to come over and it goes up, they go to a fire station and they take it and it goes up more and they recommend they go to the ED, and it goes up even more.  we plunk them in a room and watch for 2 hours and it comes down to a reasonable level and we have them follow up with their doc, and tell them (tongue in cheek) to stop checking it!  :) :) :) .  
Like the "it hurts when I do this", well then don't do that.  So many things affect changes in BP.  One thing being test and retest.  One person can take it and get one value, but then another person takes it and gets a different value.  There can be discrepancies between someone taking it with a cuff and stethoscope as opposed to a machine taking it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

Got my second dose of the vaccine on Tuesday. 
Have felt great except my injection site is swelled up with a circle type rash.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!