iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any more off-gridders here?

Started by beav, January 24, 2007, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Was the nuclear submarine "invented" or developed? I would think that both the sub and the solar panels had humble beginnings as ideas in the minds of men that didn't keep tally of hours worked vs $$.

What I'm trying to say is tinkerers should be encouraged or left in peace.If all costs had to be justified,you might have to get rid of your antique computers. ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

I like tormenting tinkerers too death.  ;D  :D And collecting old junk like some others for near nothing. :D :D :D I also like to rationalize everything that involves opening my wallet. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

I'll bet you pinch pennies so hard the Queen's nose bleeds eh? :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

LT40HDD51

Thanks Thomas, thats the closest Ive found yet to what I want to build  :). Can you give me an idea of what that twin-inverter system and the battery bank cost? Those inverters are just what Ive been scheming about, and am wondering what the ballpark range is for a 48v battery bank like that.

You said you were unsure about the generators. There is a good looking generator, diesel, 6500 watts, 13hp, on eBay. Click here. Seems to be a nice unit from a legit manufacturer. Ive seen similar engines on small sawmills. Air cooled, burn hardly any fuel. This ones electric start with a remote. Anyone got any ideas about them or experience with them? You can get em without the steel enclosure too for a few hundred less...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

stonebroke

I know it's not off the grid but does anyone have any experience with the large (2 to 3 mega watt) generators used in commercial wind farms?

Stonebroke

Thomas-in-Kentucky

LT40HDD51,

The inverters themselves are $1688 each.  But you would be
way ahead of the game to buy the whole power panel prewired
like I did.  Here is a link to a system very similar to what I bought.
http://www.affordable-solar.com/outback-vfx3648S-240v.htm
(if that link ever dies, just google "affordable solar . com" and
click on their "Outback Power Systems")  They will build any
system you want for not much more than the price of the
components.  I asked them to build one that I could expand to
4 inverters at a later date.

the prewired system is very easy to hook up.  the system above
does not include the batteries.  the options there are almost infinite. 
check their site for batteries too.  The ones I bought are pricey, but
have a 10 year warranty.  They are made in Canada, but they might
still be OK.  :D :D ;D ;D  The second 5 years are pro-rated. 
Hopefully when these batteries die, there will be a better battery
technology on the market.

The only shortcoming of the off-grid outback inverters that I
have found (compared to Xantrex) is that the Outback inverters
do not sync with a generator.  When the generator kicks on, the
inverters opt out of the power production side of things, and just
become battery chargers.  So you do not get 10Kw from 5Kw of
inverters and 5Kw of generator.   With the exception of that one
shortcoming, I think these are the best inverters on the market.

if anyone ever wants a second opinion on a system they are
contemplating buying, I love giving opinions!  :)

-Thomas

btw, that is extremely cheap for a diesel generator - someone buy one of those and let me know what the gotcha is!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dancan

the price might look cheap but factor shipping,exchange,hst,duty (depends on country of origin) and who and where for service and parts .personally  i'd look closer to home unless you have a good pipeline from there to here.
a few spots in halifax sell off some rental units and i've also thought of a diesel welder (more bang for my $$ and it's built to run)
i have also seen a national chain recall some of their offshore built generators because of faulty wiring .
just my .85 cents

LT40HDD51

I noticed that the generator company has a warehouse in Toronto, maybe get one sent there to avoid duty etc.? Im gonna have to have one before too long...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Raider Bill

Quote from: dail_h on March 04, 2007, 10:01:47 PM
   LT,
   There's a device called a killawatt,that you can hook inline with appliances,ect,that will tell you how much electric that item has used during the time it was connected. Can't figure out how to post the link,just type killowatt in your search.
I just bought one at Harbor frieight, $19.95
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Fla._Deadheader

Just returned home, WITH my old books on Alt. Energy. One of them should have a chart with household KWH usage for lights and appliances from the 70's-early 80's.

Lots of info on Methane Digesters and Solar Hot Water designs.

Now, I know this is outdated, BUT, used as a worse case scenario, you could build in a hedge for saving energy. I have flyers from Solarex, the Solar Panel we used to sell. A source list for low voltage pumps and such, even submersibles. I have some Bergey Wind Gen pamphlets. Not sure about Inverters. They have come a long way since I was in the business.

I would try to scan and supply info to those SERIOUSLY interested.

ALSO, have an antique book about FUELS. Lists BTU and such for nearly anything that burns . 

It's all buried in one of the 4-- 60# bags we dragged back, literally. Even had to drag them across a bridge that was being repaired. Only about a 12" walkway and a distance of about 600' to a waiting shuttle bus. Nearly missed it, because the bags were so heavy  >:( ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Mr Mom

Has anyone thought of using steam or a boiler to run a generator??
     Thought about eather looking for one or building one.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

farmerdoug

MrMom,

Woodmizer is working on the bioburner to that end right now.  8) Steam is a dangerous creature to play with and requires constant attention. :(

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

LT40HDD51

Sawdust into electricity.... oooohhhh, I cant wait  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

If ya get caught selling steam-produced Elec. to the grid, you MIGHT be considered Commercial, and need a Boiler Whatchamacallit Operators License.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Mr Mom

Good points.
     I was thinking on a little scale.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

LT40HDD51

I dont want to sell it, I wanna make it and use it ;)

jpgreen

Old thread here, but we've been off the grid since 99'.

-Mine-

1000 watt panel system, 4500 watt inverter, 12 trojen L16's wired in 24v. Perfect sized system for my wife and I, and my shop.

The weak link for us is backup generating power and the dependance on dino fuels.  I think our answer will be Wood Gasification... 8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

sawguy21

There was some discussion of water powered generators. Here the gubmint utility, BC Hydro, owns the power generating rights to all flowing streams. If I want to build a water wheel powered generator I am required to pay 1/3 the going rate for the privilege of using THEIR river. >:(  I also cannot divert any 'riparian management area', read fish bearing stream.
This came about with the Columbia River Treaty when the provincial government sold their souls to a power hungry U.S. in the 60's.
Needless to say, this method is not widespread.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LT40HDD51

Yeah Sawguy, that sucks. We have the Churchill dam over here pumping it out DanG near free for em too  ::). At least the Labradorians get it really cheap... But thats really something about them "owning" the rivers and streams...  >:(. How do they know how much you are using from a water wheel? Meter? DanG gubmint...

jpgreen, thats an interesting read, thanks. One question, how do you get a chebby alternator to charge a 24v bank?

jpgreen

There is a small difference between the stock 12v and mine but it's slipped my mind this morning. I think all it is is no regulator. The way I understand it is basically it's generating DC amps direct to the battery bank and doesn't care how the batteries are configured.

One thing I've found is when using a direct DC charger you can run high drawing equipment without a drop in power whatsoever, but when running even large generators to the inverters charging system, there is an initial power surge.

Direct DC amps to the batteries is the way to go.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!