iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

All electric car - model 60/60?

Started by Bibbyman, April 27, 2008, 08:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Deadheader,

I haven't looked into hydrogen too hard, but my buddy (Dangerous Dave on here) has a hydroxy setup that he built and installed in his Dodge gasser pickup that he's been testing the past couple of weeks... so far, he's seen about a 30% increase in mileage, and that's with brute force, no pulser circuit... but I guess this should go in the Brown's gas thread, not here...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all READY ???  I got some BIG news. REALLY BIG news.

I was watching a program on the tube last night, and it mentioned that Peterbilt, was designing an ELECTRIC HYBRID Semi Tractor.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think that's pretty BIG news  ;D ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

CLL

Seen article on TV last night about the hybrid cars. Seems the companies are forgeting a few problems. #1 the average hybrid is $6000 higher than normal vehicle. #2 the average consumer(15,000) miles per year can't justify the cost. Example-- 2008 Saturn Hybrid SUV will take 24 years to come out on. The only cars the test people passed was the Toyota Prius and the Honda Prelude. What was funny the Saturn gas powered SUV actually got better mileage. Looks like the small motorcycles getting 75 mpg is selling like hotcakes. Only problem is, you can't scale 1000 bdft of lumber. 8)
Too much work-not enough pay.

JimMartin9999

I don´t know how to put in the reference some of the other guys use. sorry.
Some  talk about  the car and oil companies surpressing technology which would save on gas etc.
The same people own those two industries and are trying to maximise profit. They are not dumb.   That´s the way things work.  Naturally the automotive industry  will surpress oil saving technology because for it there is no question of conflict of interest,  clearly there is  for the consumer but not for the group of people who own both oil and automotive production. 
Jim

StorminN

We started talking electric cars in the "Solar... It's not a joke" thread, so I figured I'd ask here... has anyone on here completed a conversion of an all-electric vehicle?

I'm thinking I'm going to do a conversion in the next few months, maybe this winter... I've got a Nissan pickup that is the likely candidate.

There are a few suppliers of adaptor plates (to bolt the electric motor to your existing transmission), these are the two main ones that I've found so far:
Electro Automotive
Canadian Electric Vehicles, Inc.

Here's an album with some cars that people have converted:
EV Album

-Norm.

Fla._Deadheader

I made the bellhousing for my Mazda conversion. Used ½" steel plate that I had laying around. Cut the middle section out and spaced it so I could weld it to the outer ring and got the 1" spacing it took to clear the flywheel. Trans had the rest of the bellhousing, so, I got to hook up the clutch and all. It's NOT necessary to use the clutch, but, the torque is at a dead start, in forward or reverse. We had hilly ground, so I figured shifting to a lower gear would help conserve some juice in the batteries.

Used Forklift type batteries. Just couldn't get an Electronics genius to make a working controller. ???

Had a small gas engine and generator under the hood for charging on the go. ??? 

None of this stuff is difficult. Just gotta know what you are doing   ::) ::) ;D ;D :D

Gotta see if Ed can snap a photo of the motor with the bellhousing. I THINK it's still on there ???  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

StorminN

Deadheader,

If you could get a picture of the motor / bellhousing, that would be great! What did you space it out with (what separates the inner and outer ring?) and how did you keep it all lined up (the electric motor and the clutch)?

Have you checked out the Zapi controllers? They make some DC ones with regen (check out the H3D)...

Zapi Controllers

-Norm.

farmerdoug

A guy in a town by me, Yale, has bought a Zap Zebra on eBay.  The article says 35 miles a 35 MPH.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Fla._Deadheader

UPDATE:

Sorry Norm. Ed tells me the bellhousing is not on that motor ??? Have NO IDEE where it went. Possibly left in Arkansas ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

StorminN

Ford was just awarded a $10 Million grant to develop a plugin hybrid...

Ford Awarded $10M DOE Grant to Accelerate PHEV Development

-Norm.

Bibbyman

http://www.reservemyanvil.com/

I was listening to the radio last Friday when I heard they were having an open house in Mexico, Mo. for a new electric car.  Our Senator Kit Bond was going to be there.  Well, we missed it.  But I did note that the golf cart place west of Mexico was going to be the dealer for the new Anvil. 

Mary was interested in going someplace and doing something.  She didn't know what but later in the morning she decided we should go up and look at the new Anvil.  We went up but didn't look at one as they only and a prototype at the announcement.

We did get a brochure and talked to the sales guy.  He said they had 40 on order and 40 sold.  Said they'd start coming in in a month or so. 

The vehicle was little more than a golf cart with a few details to make it street legal any places posted to a speed limit 35mph. 

Mary didn't get the price of the Anvil.  I thought she did.  But they had another brand there that was also street legal.  It was not as "fancy".  It costs over $11,000 but had a $4500 tax credit. I would guess the Anvil would be higher.  It came with a $5,000 tax credit.

We talked about the Anvil on our way to Wal-Mart.  Mary noted that the $5000 was a tax credit.  And if you did not owe $5000 in taxes, it wouldn't do you any good.  Well, it would apply to taxes you owed I guess. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fishpharmer

Bibbyman, thanks for sharing that.  I kinda like the Anvil.  It has "jeepish" lines to my eye.  And the performance numbers look acceptable.  Wonder if it can be enclosed?  Most probably doesn't have climate control.   I could suffer thru that if was inexpensive enough to own and operate.

It seems like the production EV's are outrageously priced. 

This http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/vehicles/phoenix-sut.php is one of the most impressive to me.  Has all the bells and whistles.  I believe its in the $45,000 range.  To rich for me. 

I have an old toyota truck that I would like to build something like this,  http://www.housebun.org/bob/ev.html   more my price range.   

What do ya'll think?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

moonhill

I think the S-10 would be too heavy for the set up it has, is my initial guess. 

The Phoenix weighs 4,820 pounds and can carry an extra 1000 pounds.  I wonder how long or many miles the battery pack will go and its cost replacement value?  It is no golf cart, it travels at 60 mph and can go 100 miles on a 10 minute charge.  And the cost, you can dump that much into a fancy Ford.  They are getting there.

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

olyman

It had a little 3 cylinder diesel engine.  I believe the market killed that car.
Mark

[/quote] tho old post--it was a 4 cyl diesel. also, breaking rubber timing belts, and dealer not telling new owners when to replace belts, is what killed the ford dsl-- owned four diff ones

Bill

Warning - this may just be a rant in disguise -

I know the thread is about electric but I want to throw in a plug for biodiesel.

I picked up a used stick shift vw diesel 4 yrs back - car is now 8 yrs old w/125,000 miles. This past spring I drove down to FL and back. Mostly got 51-53 mpg cruising high 65+ with some local driving mixed in . However coming back from FL I got to make a straight run thru GA, SC and into NC at a steady 70 ( the speed limit there and with a/c sometimes on sometimes off ) and got a solid 57 mpg. Next tank was mixed driving at 51-53 mpg so no short fillup to muck up the mpg's. 

So I'm thinking when the truck(s) are too much that little diesel ain't so bad after all and will hold her own with most - 42-44 around town and new record high of 57 mpg on the highway  . . .

Course some'll say the pollution is worse than a gas or hybrid or plugin or  . . .  What they're not saying is that gas and such have micro particulates that are worse for you than the particulates in diesel, voc's that diesel just doesn't have ( things like benzene and more ), etc etc - in short whether it comes from gas, NG or off the grid - they mostly still use fossil fuels to make the electric - which makes all the pollution they're complaining about . I 'd just as soon see us push biodiesel - technology is here now and works  -  while we wait for a solar powered ( photovoltaic cells ) car that 's reasonable . Gossip is that Europe pushes diesel and is saving one and a half million barrels of oil per day - even if gossip - a pretty big number .

Least thats my two cents . . . .   maybe less

"The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today but such oils may become in the course of time as important as the petroleum and coal tar products of the present time" - Rudolph Diesel. 1912  ( he wanted to free the farmer from an energy monopoly according to legend )

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

Ianab

Another new Hybrid prototype, from BMW this time.

Hybrids dont have to be boring.

1.5l diesel engine, top speed is computer limited to 150mph, 0-60mph time is 4.8 secs  ;D :o

Can drive on electric only and recharge from the mains, diesel only, or as a normal hybrid.

Can get 70mpg, and drive 30 miles on battery alone, although maybe not if you are doing top speed  ;)

It shows what the car companies can produce, now they just have to produce it so we can afford it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10597413
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bmw-vision-efficient-dynamics-concept-2009-09-01

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!