iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PEACHES, PEACHES, PEACHES!!!!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 23, 2013, 10:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Anyone else enjoying any of the fresh Peaches down South this year?
Fresh SWEET Peaches, peeled, with sugar and cream on them?

Cobblers!  Peach Bread!  Peach Butter Jelly.....OMG!

What say you WDH?

With all the rain ....Peaches are everywhere down here!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Frost bit here, got to say real happy 8) for you down there,  you could've kept that last pic to yourself ;D  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pappy19

I do love peaches, but my absolute favorite is pickled peaches. Can't find them any more, my old college room mate's mom used to make them, yummy.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

scgargoyle

That's one of many things I love about the upstate- I'm in the middle of peach country! I've already made several pies this year, despite only having a little toaster oven in my camper.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

clww

We had a job last week where there is a peach tree in the front yard. It was loaded with fruit to the point where the limbs were touching the ground. Not ripe here, yet.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Last Sunday on the way back home, we noticed that a bunch of the peach trees in the Syria, VA had their leaves turning black.  Was wondering what got them.  Maybe I can take some pictures this coming week end.

Bruce

Raider Bill

Pickled peaches..... hmmm that sounds good!

I bought some peaches at the produce stand last week. Juicy and delish! Like you David I put half and half with a tad of sugar in the raw. :)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

My Grandmother made pickled peaches, too.  Brings back old, old, memories.  Very old memories  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

We had several peach trees in the back yard when I was a kid. They were voer the drain field for the septic system. Made really sweet peaches though and so many the branches would break. Couldn't eat them all.The ones that would fall off would ferment and the dogs would eat them. A peach drunk dog is a truly funny sight to see.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Been thinking about pickled peaches...

Are they dill or sweet?

Anyone got a known recipe?

WDH

Sweet but with a little bit of a vinegary bite.  Just enough to get yore attention.   

Magicman

I was always told that you have to use "cling seed" peaches to pickle them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2013, 10:28:53 PM
Sweet but with a little bit of a vinegary bite.  Just enough to get yore attention.

Just enough to eat the whole jar!  :D

I'll try to bring a jar to the Pig Project...... say_what , I mean the Sycamore Roast.... say_what.....oh what the heck Raider.....I'll find ya!  :D

sandhills

Magic would you define "cling seed" for me, never heard of that.  Thanks.

Magicman

Generally the first peach variety to ripen are cling seed (stone) peaches.  The fruit is firmly attached to the seed and very difficult to separate.  About a month to 6 weeks later the "free stones" will ripen.  The fruit is very loosely attached to the seed and it is easily removed.  To me the freestones are sweeter and they are my favorites.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 25, 2013, 11:21:30 PM
Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2013, 10:28:53 PM

Just enough to eat the whole jar!  :D

I'll try to bring a jar to the Pig Project...... say_what , I mean the Sycamore Roast.... say_what.....oh what the heck Raider.....I'll find ya!  :D

I'll be the tall good looking guy. Many mistake me for a young Steven Segal/ Sam Elliott. smiley_whacko

thecfarm

Raider Biil,after you said that I must add and looking for a preacher man too.
We have peaches here too. Nothing like what you Southern guys have. Ours are smaller. We have a women that grows them and sells them. We call her the Peach Lady.My wife has made peach jelly from them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 26, 2013, 08:28:40 AMI'll be the tall good looking guy. Many mistake me for a young Steven Segal/ Sam Elliott. smiley_whacko 
Oh crap, and to think that I mistook you for Raider Bill.    smiley_dizzy  :o

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on July 26, 2013, 08:49:21 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on July 26, 2013, 08:28:40 AMI'll be the tall good looking guy. Many mistake me for a young Steven Segal/ Sam Elliott. smiley_whacko 
Oh crap, and to think that I mistook you for Raider Bill.    smiley_dizzy  :o

Lot of people make that mistake, I'm used to it. :D

pappy19

I just received my 4 jars of pickled peaches from  Meadow Croft Farms in Swoope, VA and I have to say, they are some of THE best pickled peaches I have ever had. Very spendy, but worth the treat. They are half peaches packed in the jar so there is more than you think. Look them up at:

www.meadowcroftfarm.com

I think I'll eat another couple.......

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Raider Bill

Quote from: pappy19 on July 29, 2013, 10:06:09 PM
I just received my 4 jars of pickled peaches from  Meadow Croft Farms in Swoope, VA and I have to say, they are some of THE best pickled peaches I have ever had. Very spendy, but worth the treat. They are half peaches packed in the jar so there is more than you think. Look them up at:

www.meadowcroftfarm.com

I think I'll eat another couple.......

Pap

Out of Stock...

You must have got the last ones.  :-\

ron barnes

Try peaches with a couple of crumbled gram crackers.  Very nice. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ron barnes on July 31, 2013, 09:36:48 AM
Try peaches with a couple of crumbled gram crackers.  Very nice. :D

Now there is a thought!

Thanks Ron, and WELCOME TO THE FORESTRY FORUM!

pappy19

I was at a local market in Boise the other day and they had a boatload of "donut" peaches. I had never seen or heard of them. The main guy said it was an old world white meat peach with a small pit. I bought a couple and they were delicious. Anyone else heard of donut peaches?
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!