iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine pulp pricing

Started by AndyVT, March 29, 2022, 11:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyVT

I have 20 acres of mostly old field regenerated white pine that is either bully, twisted, multiple topped or all of the three. They average 24 inches and larger  with many more of smaller diameters. 
Our forest management plan calls for a "regen" cut, that basically entails removing all the undesireable trees to the extent of having only about 20 trees of 16" DBH per acre. 
Much of the pine would qualify as pulp so I am now checking out local, more or less, pricing in Vermont.
Anyone trucking and or cutting WP pulp? 

chep

We mostly leave it in the woods. Not worth moving. Vt wood pellet buys. Sometimes shelburne buys. But lowlow prices. Also rygate power plants buys. But has strict specs.
I would look for a whole tree crew to put it thru their chipper. You will lose money otherwise! 

Log-it-up

Call Weston Pulp wood sales they send over to Ticonderoga but I think your going to be disappointed with the pulp market the only pulp I send is what stays on the tree when I pull full length I never seek out pulp jobs it's a high volume game and hand cutting just doesn't cut it I push in a pile all winter long and considered a little bonus money at the end of the winter 
I will warn you he is hard to nail down always a couple weeks out if not more 

AndyVT

In past years of timber harvest I too have left the tops  on the ground after pulling out all the saw grade logs.
The rest was just too junky to move.
I have been advised to use a chip/saw contractor and have thought about it but the access to my property is very limited for anything bigger that a single straight log truck. 
 Getting in a chipper crew and tractor trailers would be an iffy and likely costly propostion; plus much of the lot is steep and wet so interior access would be a major operation.

Just considering my options, I have a few years to get the work done.

mudfarmer

If it is wet and access is bad they are really going to have to put the rock to it in order to get the chipper and trucks in. You might not get much or any money but might get a nice road and landing out of the deal??? Honestly that might not be a bad trade.

I don't know the capacity of those whole tree chippers, hopefully someone will chime in on how they like a steady diet of 24"+ wood

BargeMonkey

Unless you find someone desperate to starve to death I wouldn't figure making much. Hemlock, popple, not bad, pine pulp barely covers the fuel after trucking to Ticonderoga for me even when we could ship it long wood. 

thecfarm

I am no help, unless you have an OWB. I use to feed a steady diet of white pine to it. Even dead, it works fine.
I cut some in the winter time and burned it. Not so good.  :o   It has to burn it to get the BTU's out of it. I know the dead wood last longer than the green wood. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodroe

I just burn pasture pine in the woodstoves, couple/three cord a year lately . Over 
time it cleans up the Pine stands pretty good. Burns good seasoned .
Probably worth $100 cord in today's firewood prices. Just requires more feeding of the stove
which some of us retired folk have.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

GAB

@AndyVt:
If you would add your location like thecfarm does, we might be able to give you better suggestions.
If you are in the Bennington area suggesting an outfit in Berkshire would not be beneficial to you.
If you are in Fair Haven area, then you are close to Ticonderoga.
Just a suggestion.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

peakbagger

Interesting that anyone still wants pine for pulping in the area. Berlin used to be the dumping ground for it but it did not make great pulp. Plus the turpentine added an extra dimension to handling process effluent. We had several known cases of the turpentine separating and igniting in the underground process sewer that was vented to a 300 foot kiln stack. It would blow smoke rings. I was looking at putting in a recovery system at one point but we didnt make enough it to justify the expense.

AndyVT

I am in Cavendish near Ludlow, maybe 40 minutes to Rutland

AndyVT

Called the pellet mill in N Clarendon...$26/ton delivered.

Thank You Sponsors!