Started by timh, January 16, 2013, 01:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timh

I`m thinking of using large nylon bags to store my firewood for next year
split throw in season. Anyone tried this will it season or grow mush room
in the center or should I make make apile leave out all summer and then bag it
or just stack it thanks tim

NWP

Is the end use heating your house or are you selling it?
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

beenthere

My thought would be that it will not season (dry much) in those bags.
Just don't think there will be enough air movement.
It surely would help if the bags of wood were stored under a shed roof so no rain.
But there is a real good way to try that out.  And let us know how it works.

A drawback I see is getting the wood out of the bag easily. Wrestling wood out of a bag or a box or a crate wouldn't be my idea of fun. But could just be me. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I have a couple of bags that kinda look like that. I have not seen yours,but mine I doubt it would dry as good. I don't think the air could go through my bags much.If the wood was dry than they would work good undercover if the rain was kept out.
I had a '92 2120. That thing was a work horse.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ivan49

Quote from: timh on January 16, 2013, 01:54:58 PM
I`m thinking of using large nylon bags to store my firewood for next year
split throw in season. Anyone tried this will it season or grow mush room
in the center or should I make make apile leave out all summer and then bag it
or just stack it thanks tim

Where did you get those bags? When I was looking at wood processors I got some info from one place and that is all they use. They were rather expensive at the time. I questioned them about drying wood in them and was told they did not have any problems When I was in Germany the last time they use those for everything and they had them laying all over for free but getting them here would have cost to much.

blackfoot griz

Timh

It's hard to tell from your photo, but do those bags have an open weave or small slits to let air circulate?

I wonder how long they would hold up to UV?
I also wonder if they could be made with a tie configuration on the bottom so you could lift the bag up with a loader and let er rip  to unload?

SwampDonkey

I wonder if they are nylon or polyester. Nylon doesn't like UV, polyester doesn't mind it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

OESCO in Conway Ma. sells bags like that for about $30 I think.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

timh

Thanks for repiles juus got home from work 2 shift thier seem pretty
durable for me they hold about 1weeks wood for my indoor boiler
cost about $10.00 a peice from acompany in Pa. I just googled
fire wood bags and they came up
       They seem to cut done on handling the wood for me I do`nt sell
  wood  Tanks tim

bill m

I talked to my friend at OESCO today. They sell the bags for about $13.50 each and should last 3 years. Drying wood in them is no problem.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!