iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rain and Mud

Started by Rhodemont, December 20, 2023, 04:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

December 29 we found a tick on the dog and saw a mosquito flying around outside. Nothing is(was?) frozen much under the crust here either, I moved the mulch on the garlic 3 days ago to make sure it was not frost heaving and only the top 1" was frozen, wet underneath.

Is there somewhere I can look for rainfall #s if I'm too lazy to keep track?

Rhodemont

I am trying to get a landing set up to haul out some timber and firewood.  Looked firm to get started but turned into a mud pit fast.  Gonna have to muck it and bring in some fill.  Dang!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

ehp

Well sent 2 loads today so better than nothing but had to move the log pile about 200 yds further out in the field , lot of natural gas on this land so must be  lots under the old landing cause it sure is not freezing , At noon today I had lots of bugs out flying around

Woodfarmer

I'm 2 hrs east of Ed on the north shore of Lake O. It's all loam here and all mud. I had the covid 2 weeks before Christmas so nothing got done. I'm not even planning on going to cut any logs now. I have firewood logs scattered all over the place I think I'll clean up this year, buuuuuuut if it turns cold and snows you know I'll be cutting some logs.

711ac

Quote from: mudfarmer link=topic=123693.msg2015170#msg2015170

/quote]
Me too, a buddy has a weather station that records this.
Weather underground I think has a " history " or totals. Not sure if it will give you an annual amount, but it's free and chances are that there's a local neighbor who sends his info to them.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mudfarmer on January 04, 2024, 03:54:02 PM

I don't know how this will work, it's a very long URL, but if it works, click on it and then on the page that come up make sure "Weather Stations" and "temerature/wind" are checked. You can move the map around and zoom in and out and find a recording station near you. Each one will have a 'history page' and you can pick the readings for any day they have data.
here goes nuttin'
Extremely long URL deleted by ADMIN
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mudfarmer

Hey, thanks that works and I already use wunderground! The closest station is not at all close though so we can't really rely on it for current temps or anything but forecast really. I guess we are not too lazy, only average lazy for the area  ;D

Forester says hurry up and wait, keep staying out of the woods. 40s coming mid week

beenthere

OGH
Please use a link (hyperlink if you can) to bring that looong url down to size so the page does not run way off the screen. Thank you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: beenthere on January 05, 2024, 05:01:49 PM
OGH
Please use a link (hyperlink if you can) to bring that looong url down to size so the page does not run way off the screen. Thank you.

I'd be happy to if I could. Perhaps you can show me how? The old tool is NLA and the current tool does what you see.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ehp

Suppose to get 2 plus inches of rain starting tomorrow night fairly late and all day tuesday

weimedog

Got 6 to 8 inches of snow last night into today. Not sure if the job is drifted in yet, my drive had 2ft drifting, not enough to stop the tractors. Enough to be a pit
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

dustintheblood

Not sure if I got enough years left in me to allow the natural ebb and flow of seasonal changes to roll through their cycles.

Been a heck of a year dealing with wildfires (great for the natural progression of the boreal), to the epically crappy maple syrup seasons (personally speaking), to the super late formation of ice climbing formations (speaking purely recreationally).

I still rely on the ebb and flow of the rabbits.  They come in droves then get eaten by the coyotes.  Then they die off and the coyotes die off, then the rabbits thrive and multiply, then the coyotes thrive when the rabbits return.

Suppose it's age and grey hair, but am (regretfully) age that tempers my view.  Patience for the new seasons to come as they will.  The rabbits will thrive.  The coyotes will thrive.  Ice and cold (and frozen woodland) will return. 

We as humans are impatient (and that's resonable and understood and okay).

But the bank isn't.

So we push on for better days knowing that what we do is important and critical.

and we push on....
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

nativewolf

We have had a very bad drought that nature seems intent on resolving this winter during the harvesting season.  Sigh.

We got mostly rain over the weekend, not the snows you got in NY/PA and northwards.  Like Ed we are supposed to get 2" more this week.  Our haul road has been ok but we've been getting 1-2" a week of rain since Thanksgiving and not it is starting to get damp.  Good site, but even an upland site gets damp.
Liking Walnut

Northernlogger1

Up here in north western Canada....Alberta to be exact..its been so warm..no snow..just had a half inch the other day, so it kinda looks like winter. Usually logging is going full swing but forestry has shut down a lot due to not enough frost..doing to much damage

ehp

You can throw only 2 inches of rain out the window and its still pouring hard here, have to see what we end up getting in the end but I'm thinking double at least, fields are flooded everywhere

BAN

Plowed 8"s of snow off our soft road in hopes this cold spell coming allows us to haul for a few weeks before breakup. This winter has been like nothing I've seen before.

ehp

It's quit raining or snowing for a minute but is to start again, Wind right now and for the rest of the day is 50 mph so that help speed up getting rid of this water  but if the wind stream ever switches to the south west we will be buried in snow

ehp

Man that was short  ;D , she is pouring again

Rhodemont

4.75 inches rain in 10 hrs melting 4 inches of snow on saturated ground.  Steady south wind at 50mph with gusts to 65 around 2-3am. It is flooded out there, and the basement.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Firewoodjoe

@ehp I thought you were basically across the lake from me. How did winter miss you. The storm went all the way to Maine. Looks like next week we'll be almost 0 for a few nights.

ehp

Because I'm near the lake so it keeps everything warm and I'm most likely south of you abit , Buffalo is north of me a wee bit

Firewoodjoe

Oh yeah that is south of me. Weather is way different in southern michigan too. I actually prefer to work 1 1/2 hours south in drier winters. They don't get almost any snow down there. 4" and the towns will shut down.

ehp

The lake is pretty warm and our normal wind current comes from the lake which is good or bad cause if the temp is cold enough and big wind we get a ton of snow , but if you head north even 30 minutes its a total different weather pattern

ehp

Another lovely day of wet slop and most likely 2 more days of it before cold is to get here, I tried to go look at a couple bushes I got close to this one today , Not a chance , everything is flooded bad

mudfarmer

It was me, a nice old Peterbilt headed North and ten thousand bucket trucks on the road for 4hrs today. Thousands without power still but freezing up for a minute maybe! I got main skid trail packed down when we got 8" of snow and then a bunch of rain after so it should freeze in good of it can  ??? A few bolts to tighten up while we wait

Thank You Sponsors!