iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you charge additional for stickering and banding?

Started by GF, March 20, 2006, 09:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I am curious if you charge extra for stickering the lumber and banding it together with poly or plastic strapping.  I have started to do this on several jobs and the customer seems to like it real well as they can fork the lumber off the trailer and directly into drying storage.  If you do charge extra I am curious as to how you would base you additional cost.  My idea woul be to add an addiitonal 3 to 4 cents per bd ft.

Dan_Shade

be extremely careful about transporting stickered lumber, especially hardwoods.  the airflow through the stack can cause severe surface checking :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rbjones03

I charge $20.00 per MBF for Stickers, but I usually wave the charge.  Makes the customer he's getting something special and I always have the option of charging the customer if he's a pain.
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Brad_S.

I charge 5ยข a board foot to sticker and detest doing it. I band for free as it helps me move the pile without dumping it. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

BBTom

I charge $0.10 to sticker and band, but normally it is included in the $0.30 drying charge.  If they are going to take it home to dry it, most customers do not have a way to handle stickered lumber, or they are putting it where they have to handle it by hand anyway. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Tim

I charge $35 / Mfbm to sticker four sticks / course. The sticks never leave the yard. The customer gets two bands free and $5.00 / band over 2. The folks at the ministry of transportation here in Ontario frown big time on transporting stickered lumber. The sticks tend to create hail conditions on car hoods sometimes. I'll toss a couple sticks in a pack though to keep it together when its dead stacked. I like piling lumber, I don't like piling lumber twice. Jacksticks is a game to play with the kids...
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Frank_Pender

I charge for stickering as the stickering is part of the kiln fee of $.60 a board foot for dry8ing.  I am lined up forthe next ten months for drying. ;D
Frank Pender

BBTom

I just now figured it out.  I am not charging enough for drying.   Frank is charging them enough so that they realise it is a valuable service.  !   I charge half as much so they think it is just something extra for me to charge them!  Silly me :-[
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Tim

Those balances are sometimes a little difficult to figure out BBTom. I've been at it for 14 years now and I'm still trying to figure it out.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Thank You Sponsors!