iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cantilevered Racks For Air Drying

Started by Pepe_Silvia, June 18, 2020, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

Since I'm running out of space in the horizontal direction, I need to start moving in the upward direction.

Looking to build or have built some cantilevered racks for storing my lumber as it dries.  Is there a rule of thumb for spacing between the arms of the racks - the span that the wood will be resting on?
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

farmfromkansas

Think Tom the Sawyer posted some pics of racks with roof on top.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

thecfarm

I did a search on here and found some posts on this subject. That will keep you busy for a while.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

I bought some pallet racking with the intention of putting them up and then putting a roof on them.  Then I discovered that Tom the Sawyer had already done the same thing.  I haven't put mine up yet.  I have put some up under my covered deck and have a couple layers of drying under there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

longtime lurker

I just keep going vertical with pack on pack.
If you want to put a "roof" of roofing iron on top for outside storage you just keep putting the fresh pack on the bottom - saves playing around with the iron and top weights each time 
Keep your sticker spacings consistent and it will give very flat lumber... the best weight for a pack of timber is always another pack of timber IMHO

There's a guideline says that total stack height when doing this should not exceed 4 times the width of the packs.

(One of my favourite photos of this place... straight, laying flat, everything consistent... almost looks like we know what we're doing and stuff)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

thecfarm

I think I see one out of place on the right hand stack, second pile in, about half way up. :D
Now that looks mighty nice. And than some!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!