iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Easter Ham

Started by Norm, April 08, 2012, 08:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We're having a get together today for Easter. Joel told me he had a ham that was so huge there was no chance he'd ever use it so stop over and get it for dinner today. So Tuesday Patty shows up with a frozen hard as a rock uncured ham. Hmmmm what to do so I decided to brine it in some cure which is salt, pink salt, brown sugar and various herbs and spices. It won't be a totally cured ham but should be pretty tasty none the less.

Got up at 5AM to start it cooking on my xl egg. Used some peach and apple chunks for the smoke....more later.

Magicman

I wanta see the carcass.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

So how did it turn out? What fixins did you have? How's Patty's bull dozer doing? :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

This is suspenseful  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Did a Smithfield ham in the oven yesterday...came pretty good...interested to see how instant ham came out...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Norm

Sorry guys I was too busy feeding the crowd to get any done pictures, a 5 and 2 year old make for a hectic house!

Mooseherder

I cooked a Ham and a Boneless rib end Pork roast on my pit while leaving the oven for the rest of the fixings.
The Ham was cut up into a few large chunks and put over a bed of baby carrots in a tin and covered with pineapple slices.  I had used a cup of 7 up for liquid in the bottom of the tin.  Covered the aluminum tin with foil and let er bake on the hot coals.  It was a hit.
The pork roast I had to tend and after it was cooked I put it in a Texas Crutch with sautéed onions and mushrooms.  It turned out good.
My daughter made an awesome recipe of Mac and cheese she got off the Internet.  Then we had sweet taters covered with marshmallows, green bean casserole, regular mashed taters.  I had a heaping plate full and didn't go back for seconds.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Mooseherder on April 09, 2012, 10:09:13 AM
I had a heaping plate full and didn't go back for seconds.

Didn't or couldn't go back for seconds.  For me on Sunday, I couldn't because I was too full after the first loading.

Bruce

CHARLIE

Norm, we don't need pictures....just tell us how it turned out. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Norm

It was pretty good Charlie but could have used more time in the brine. The outer 4"s was cured like you'd expect a ham to be but the interior was more like a normal pork roast.

Patty

All that was left was the big bone, Charlie, so it must have been pretty tasty.  :)

Today that ham bone is being used in some bean soup. Yummy!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!