iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SYP for floor joists and air drying procedures

Started by REGULAR GUY, April 27, 2013, 06:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULAR GUY

If end checking is no problem with SYP, I guess there is no need for logs to be cut much longer than a few inches longer than the board is gonna be?!!?    If most of the bad lumber is within 4" of the center, should I just elimenate that part, or if not should I put the pith in the center of a 2x whatever, or does it matter if the pith is on the edge of the board?   Being curious, if it was a 6x6 or 4x12, does it matter where the center (pith) is?    Should I put weight on the "stickered" stack of dryin lumber?  Thanks guys, I'm  learnin a bunch.  Regular Guy                   

beenthere

Yes to your questions.  The pith of SYP will have a tendancy to shrink in length so you can include that fact in your decisions as to where to place the pith in your lumber/timbers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Always try to center the pith in the widest board that you can.  All commercial pine sawmills include the pith, they just square up the cant to the target size for that cant, and run the cant through a gang saw.  This usually centers the pith.  If the pith is on the edge of a timber, the timber will develop side bend for the reason beenthere pointed out.  Same for a board. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I just ripped out a stud wall this past week that had pith in some of the 2X4's. 

That being said, the pith is not always (and usually not) centered in a SYP log for various reasons.   I would saw the logs into whatever lumber you need and then select it's use.  Not all framing lumber is used in a structural sense.  You need temporary braces, shorts for building corners and T's, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!