iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

proper tapping of maple trees depth agnle size???

Started by SPIKER, March 02, 2007, 06:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

???

OK this probably has been answered before someplace, for some reason when I search for stuff it turns up a lot of misc posts but not quite what I was looking for. 

SO to condense a few posts on making maple syrup sap trees ect.

1.  How Deep do you drill when tapping trees?

2.  How many taps per tree?

3.  How high UP the tree?

4.  What is best way to LOCATE a good point in the tree to drill? (look for large tap/feeder roots and drill above those?)

5.  What angle do you drill into the tree (straight in 90 degrees  spiel pointing DOWN slight angle or UP?)

6.  What DIA hole is best? 

7.  Can you not use any spiels and only tight fit of tubing pressed into the hole (Polly-Propylene type tubing)

Reasons I'm asking is I just want to tap a few trees for my own use.   Nothing fancy planned for NOW but I have planted 2000 hard/sugar maples 4 years ago which are starting to FINALLY grow and maybe in 10 more years will be able to start thinking about tapping them in a production application.

I'm now just testing sugar content of some existing trees and to try my hand at it for the first time ever.   what I'm planning to do with this for now (next few seasons) are as follows

1.  Filter all sap using small potable pressure pump and fiber type whole house filter.  (no plans yet for a R.O. system but later if and when I start production on the plantings (planned as a semi-retirement project in 20 or more years)

2. Boil down sap in some sort of Double Boiler over outdoor propane fired cook stove (high BTU burner with S.S. turkey type cooker.

3.  Boil in batches or should I boil and add to the boiling sap until it all cooks down???

OK that I suppose is enough questions for now...

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Here is a link to a thread that has some information along with other links it should help.  Also go to the search and type in Sugaring it will take you to a lot of different threads that involve different ways to tap trees.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17718.0

Delcy
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

BBTom

Mark,

I will be tapping my trees this weekend. Stop by and I will let you help for a while, and give you some plastic spiles for your trouble.   Might even set you up with some tubing if your trees are close enough together. 

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SPIKER

Tom:

what time are you going to be working Saturday???  I'm going to go to the farm early in AM but can stop by in afternoon.  Sunday I'm going over to other side of Pittsburgh PA. to work on an Industrial Oven, (I didn't build it my old shop did long after I left but it is extra $)  I'm off monday going to doc up in Brecksville VA @11 am back in Mansfield 3pmish.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!