iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Tension on long bars.

Started by IndyIan, January 27, 2003, 02:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyIan

Hey all,
I tried out my alaskan mill on the weekend and milled sugar maple, made a few boards that I want to cut some canoe paddles out of.  8)  
I I've got a 37" bar on my 372 and I wonder how tight I should have the chain.  Usually I have a 16" bar on it and I tighten the chain(cold) so its quite hard to pull the chain out of the groove at the middle of the bar (it still rolls easy by hand.)
With a 37" bar I think tightening this way may damage the saw or the roller tip.  Am I being to cautious?  I guess the other problem is that with such a long chain when it gets hot the chain gets loose.  I've got .058 3/8 oregon chain.
Should I tighten the chain a bit tighter than normal when cold to compensate for the longer chain?
Thanks for any help,
Ian  

Kevin

I would tighten as normal but put the oil to it and keep an eye on it.
If it gets loose with the heat, snug it up but keep checking it after each cut.
When you're done milling loosen it back up until it cools.
Running a loose chain will damage the bar and chain.

IndyIan

Thanks for the advice Kevin.  
I am also doubting that the oiler in my saw is really supplying enough.  (I have it wide open)  I am running winter oil and hoping the lower viscosity helps to get more onto the bar but I think I should add an auxillary oiler.  Just to be safe as bars and chains are expensive here... :-/  
Ian

Kevin

You should consider the aux. oiler for milling 28+" on a regular basis.

Thank You Sponsors!