iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter

Started by Texas Ranger, January 30, 2004, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

DanG I can't wait for winter to be over, 50 today and raining, still can't get warm. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Minnesota_boy

I'll trade you our sunny and cold for your rain and 50.  My thermometer showed -38 this morning.   I'm NOT sawing today.  :-/ :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Norm

If I wasn't shivering sooo hardddd I'ddd comeee downnn there and kick yourrrr butttt.  ;D

Kevin_H.

It was two deg. when I looked out this morning, Now any other time I would just stay in, but we are smoking deer sausage tomorrow so I HAD to get the smoke house done today...

Took me about 2 hrs to get the bobcat started, Even had to put the booster on the WM...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

VA-Sawyer

You guys remind me of a certian fellow talking about his golf game. Said he hit in the upper 70's or lower 80's. If it was warmer or colder than that, he just stayed home.  :D
VA-Sawyer

EZ

Almost all my life I heard people say, one of these days Ohio will have Florida weather and Florida will have Ohio weather. About 6 or 8 years ago our winters were very mild, temps would be in the 40 and 50 all winter, sometime in the 70's. I thought DanG it's true, we are going to get Florida weather. I needed a new truck at the time so I bought a ford ranger 2 wheel drive and sold my old gas hog 4x4. Told my wife I aint goin need 4x4 any more cause of the weather change. Those warm winters lasted two years and here I was with a 2 wheel drive truck. Traded that truck in and got another 4x4 which does help out alot. Came home yesterday after work and had to drive threw the fields to get here, back road has 5 foot drifts across it. So much for are Florida weather.
EZ

Haytrader

Just heard on The Weather Channel that Gaylord, Mich. set a record for snow fall in one month.
69"
Any of you know first hand?
Haytrader

Norm

I took this shot this morning before it was very light so it's not real clear. The deer are hungry and come up to the corn stubble behind the house to feed. After dark they are in the back yard eating the sweet clover. Our next field down can have 50-60 deer in it in addition to this group that feeds on the terraces. We don't chisel in the fall so it really attracts em.

Don we have a late season if you want to come up. ;)

Sawyerfortyish

I was in Boonville NY about ten years ago and they got 69" in one snow storm :o. It's not uncommon for western NY to have snow banks along the road higher than a box trailer on a semi

Jeff

Gaylord is less then 20 miles south of Corley5 and an hour north of me. I didnt hear the amounts but I knew they were getting enough. For me, any, is enough.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawyerfortyish

That rain sure does sound warmer than the 0 temp this morning. A spring started bubbling out of the ground in back of my house this week the ice has formed and is now over a foot deep and running down the driveway and freezing.I think H%LL froze over and sprung a leak ::). Be glad to see a thaw come.Been too cold too long.

Bro. Noble

We don't get too terrible much snow,  but did get what must be a record amount of flurries back in the spring of 78.  Weather man predicted flurries overnight-------sure enough,  we got 18 inches of flurries :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

They are callin for 7" to 9" of flurries here tonight and tomorrow.
Just came to town from feeding the cows and the highways are sliiiiick just from freezing fog.
Tis no record but sure is miserable.
 :-[
Haytrader

Ron Scott

I can't remember when I've had to put the Toyota 4x4 in "low/low" so many times and even carrying chains and winch for security. Most woods jobs are now "walk-ins" or rather "snowshoe-ins". Most new ones are waiting until spring.

The Gaylord, MI area is a regular snow belt. Always plan on driving through heavy snow when winter driving its stretch of road. My daughter and son-in-law live in Gaylord, MI. He's a building contractor there.

I couldn't stop to visit them my last time through returning from the UP as it was snowing too hard with bad visibility. I called them on the cell phone that I was getting "my butt home".
~Ron

Corley5

Gaylord sucks in the winter ;D :D but south and west of there a little bit it gets even worse.  Mancelona and Kalkaska really get it.  We've gotten our share too but it's a light fluffy snow and if we'd get a couple days above freezing it'll settle to about nothing.  A warm rain would really be nice bit that's wishful thinking ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Texas Ranger

Norm F.  I appreciate the offer, but I swore years ago I would move as far south as it took to get warm and figure Texas is about as far as I can go without speaking spanish.  I had one Missouri winter where the temperature never got above 3 below for a couple of weeks.  I was at the U of Mo at the time and had to make class, so it was parka and everything else I could wear.  

come to think of it, 50 isn't near that bade. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Norm

This winter has been more or less a "normal" winter for Iowa. Cold temps (we had 3-4 days where it didn't get above -4F) and average snowfall. Oh well I'll just go out and burn some fossil fuels, maybe help out the global warming. ;D

Don we have an early deer season too, come on up and we'll run a drop cord to a tree stand for ya.  ;)

woodmills1

was almost 40 today, sun was shinin and the tires were almost not frozen to the ground. :D :D  weather man said it was below normal for the day but after what we have had it was great.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

pasbuild

I think spring is here ;D 28 and sun shine the snow was AIMOST melting ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Sawyerfortyish

Warmed up to freezing today  :). The snow on the roof of the mill started melting with the sun beating on it. Felt good in the sun as long as the wind didn't blow.

L. Wakefield

I know- 'twas a lovely day- you could actually smell the outdoors instead of just feeling pain of inhalation.

A friend brought over a rooster for me to foster  ;D -  and it was warm enough that we could watch them establishing the pecking order.

That sun is getting stronger!  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

DanG

Wakefield, how do you "foster" a rooster?  ???  Is that sorta like roasting, or do you put him in a pan on top of the stove? Inquiring minds want to know. ;D

Don, we inherited the weather you were originally complaining about. :-/  It has been clammy and gloomy around here for four days. Yesterday's low was 43 and high was 46, with dribbly rain and fog all day. It was like England without the funny foriegn accents. Its s'posed ta brighten up tomorrow and get up to 65+, and be in the 70's by Thursday. I can hardly wait! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

L. Wakefield

LOL- she was so funny- she cares about the rooster but at the same time she thought he was picking on this one hen- so she isolated him for a while, and then his wattle got frostbite, and swelled up- so she kept him isolated and warm til he got better and then she was looking for a place for him.

Well, *I* of course, have all the comforts of home- all the fish remnants from icefishing that a bird might want, and 2 old biddies who don't take any s**& from an upstart young whippersnapper rooster..

So here he is, already at home. Spittin image of my hen with the identity crisis- she *is* a hen, but she crows, and God knows if she lays eggs. Perhaps he can clarify this issue for her (Now babe, I'm a *real* rooster- see these parts here..oh yeah, come to think about it they both have cloacas so *that* won't work, will it..).

She said his name was 'Ruben' (Ruben the rapist she was calling him)- but he might morph into 'Brewster' now he's over here. I'm just a sucker for strays, I guess. He's truly gorgeous- one of those golden types- is it a Buff Orpington or something? If I DO get some younger biddies, he'd certainly enjoy it.

What was interesting is that it wasn't the intersex 'hen' that challenged him, but the little Rhode Island Red. They bumped and banged around for awhile while his human mom was probably thinking.. 'I *do* hope he'll be alright..'

He's alright.. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

redpowerd

so who's allright now? :-*
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!