iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crappie Fishing Today

Started by elk42, January 30, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk42

The wife and I went crappie fishing today and she got one 15 3/4" weight 2 1/2 lb

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

WV Sawmiller

E42,

Nice catch. We are likely a couple month away from anything like that here.

Be sure to string the biggest one up last and everyone that sees it will report that you caught approximately 3 dozen crappie and all of them weighed over 2 lbs each. Old trick.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I see a channel cat slipped in there!

WDH

One of the very best freshwater fish for frying.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

elk42

Yes we had a great morning started with 38° and got to 71° by noon light south wind 5 mph. with sun all day.
   SW thanks for the tip but I am a it is what it is guy. We crappie fish all year and
also catfish.
Jeff I like catfish that size and fry them whole like trout. 
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,

Texas Ranger

We call it coubion.  Wonderful with white perch, y'all call 'em crappie. 

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/03/cajun-courtbouillon.html
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

Great catch and great eating!
~Ron

Savannahdan

The one your wife is holding is almost a meal by itself.  Guess I need to get my gear dusted off and head down the road.  Thank you for sharing.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Jeff

Quote from: Savannahdan on January 31, 2017, 01:31:57 PM
The one your wife is holding is almost a meal by itself.

Looking at the picture of the entire catch, I was going to comment that "there is almost a meal there"  ;) :D

I like me some fish. :)

fishpharmer

That big one looks like a Mississippi crappie ;) ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Den Socling

Yeah! I never saw a crappie that size in our little Pine Creek.

DDW_OR

here are some photos of some of my camping groups Arizona fishing trips.

day fishing at Lake Pleasant, large mouth bass, stripe bass
left is a 13 inch Crappie

Night fishing at Lake Pleasant, striped bass

"let the machines do the work"

fishpharmer

Always suprises me, pthe nice fish caught in a desert state like AZ.  I met a fella from there last summer that had some great AZ caught striper photos. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

newoodguy78

That there is one serious crappie!! Nice catch, do you use live bait or artificial?
Other than maybe yellow perch through the ice crappie is about as good as it gets when it comes to eating in my opinion.

trapper

Sunday my son gave me about 25 white bass from ice fishing on lake Winnebago.
Some groups were catching 200 - 300 saturday and sunday.  They are very good from that cold water.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DDW_OR

Quote from: trapper on January 31, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Sunday my son gave me about 25 white bass from ice fishing on lake Winnebago.
Some groups were catching 200 - 300 Saturday and Sunday.  They are very good from that cold water.
sound like  the start of a GREAT Fish Fry, except got the cleaning of all that fish.
"let the machines do the work"

pineywoods

Elk, where you catching white perch that size ? maybe Felsenthal ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DelawhereJoe

You know what they say..."a crappie fishing day is better then a day at work"
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

elk42

Only got 12 crappie this morning they moved and  I found them just before I had to go.

elk42

pinewoods
Yes in the port turn basin only 13 miles from my home.
Another great morning even with a low catch.

drobertson

Those are some nice slabs!! Got me bumping my gums just thinking bout it! Perfect day!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Doing chores for a few days for the neighbors that went ice fishing, I can't wait until they get back, chores are easy and I love crappie  :).  Great catches!

terrifictimbersllc

Elk, how do you like to cook them? :P
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

elk42

Well I like to boil them in 350° peanut oil. Large ones file with skin on and small [hand size]  whole slice each side every 1" to fry crisp.  Coat with Louisiana Fish fry  ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!