Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

gspren

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 02, 2023, 05:00:23 PM
Don, what did you use to punch the holes in the bed angle iron?
Not Don but an old machinist. I've used the bed angles for projects and find a slower RPM and a steady feed works ok, much easier with a drill press than by using a hand drill, with hand drills most people tend to go too fast for tough steels. As soon as the drill starts to dull get off there as rubbing just work hardens it. Learning to hand sharpen drills on a bench grinder is a good skill to learn!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Don P

We did use a drill press and new bits, so another kaching. I'm almost good enough to sharpen for white pine. When there is steel to drill I've learned to buy bolts and 2 new bits... and yup, with old bedframes it seems like there is probably a fleck of battleship armor about where you want to cut or drill :D.

97redjeep

Finished it up, hauled into the local barn and filled. Pretty happy with the result.

HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

gspren

Quote from: Don P on March 03, 2023, 01:39:09 PM
We did use a drill press and new bits, so another kaching. I'm almost good enough to sharpen for white pine. When there is steel to drill I've learned to buy bolts and 2 new bits... and yup, with old bedframes it seems like there is probably a fleck of battleship armor about where you want to cut or drill :D.
I did most of my machine shop career with the Army Research Lab so I've drilled a lot of armor plate and there is more than one type, slow and steady, and sometimes it takes some x-rated talking!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

samandothers

I have some bedframes I need to 'dispose' of.  Y'all have presented some great opportunities for their use.

97redjeep,
That is a very nice looking tack closet, it looks stout!  Will you put any finish on it?

firefighter ontheside

That is really nice and really like the half logs.  Thats a nice touch.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

97redjeep

Thank ya, id planned on doing some sort of like light stain, but the wife likes how it looks, and it's inside, so natural I think it will be. The "firewood " turned out pretty darn nice. I had two guys last night, the first night it was there, say I should sell them, but I probably have 30+ hours into Logging,  milling, drying, planning, etc. etc. etc., I don't know if I can build them other than for a hobby. What were the cash deal work out to be an hour? 

97redjeep

the last one I did was  with 2x8, it turned out pretty good, but a little more "standard" ,  so I wanted to change it up and make it a little more rustic. 

Wlmedley

My son and DIL bought a house a couple years ago.It wasn't a new house but about 15 years old and was built in a factory and set on foundation with a crane.I guess would be called a modular home.Where house was fastened together in living room sheet rock is cracked and ceiling slightly unlevel.DIL wanting fake beam to cover crack and make splice less noticeable. I'm building one out of poplar.No planer or jointer so required a lot of hand planing and sanding.She found a board in my collection with a knot hole and wanted to use it.Filled it with epoxy.So far so good.More sanding and need to plug screw holes.Hope it fits :laugh:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Don P

Why is it all that money I was saving by having a sawmill is now used to buy epoxy to fill the wood they want to see?  :D

Wlmedley

Glad that was the only poplar board I had with a knot hole.Looked like a defect to me.Glad it's not holding anything up  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Crusarius

I did something very similar to that in my last house. The only difference is I left it hang from the ceiling and put led tubes in it for light. I also ran all my audio and video cables through it for my ceiling mounted projector. that room turned into a pretty sweet theater.

Oh and I actually ran some LED Christmas lights in it for ambient lighting while watching a movie. worked out great.

tule peak timber

Got all of the veneers on and ready to start the bottom tomorrow.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Don P

With Rob standing in as Vanna  :D

How many pieces did you bring to a point?

Walnut Beast

Rob! You are the man!!!! 💪

Old Greenhorn

Holy cow Rob! I gotta ask you: What are the chances the client has any idea what was involved in making this thing? Can't wait to see the bottom. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

That's cool Rob.  Did you make the pie pieces with a tapering jig?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tule peak timber

There are 27 pieces cut from a half dozen big claro walnut slabs, with about 70% waste. I start by calculating the circumference and dividing by a reasonably close number with the final pie piece being a "fatty".  After a lot of resawing piles of vertical grain blanks, I use a template to rough out the grain I need. With a very tight fence and a freshly sharpened fine tooth blade the roughed out pieces are "shaved " straight to a point then arranged for pattern on the torsion box top. This is done free hand with a sharp eye. Pretty time consuming. Vanna is better looking !

doc henderson

As always, thanks for sharing secrets.  how thick are the slices and what do you use for adhesive?  if you do not mind sharing.  looks grand!  cannot wait to see what the finish does to highlight the grain.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

The veneers are a tick over 1/2 inch and will sand down to a tick under half inch. Only epoxy to avoid any swelling and or movement. A pic of one I did a couple of years ago with English Walnut.

doc henderson

Thanks for keeping the bar set high enough, that we will not reach it in our lifetimes.   :)  keeps us humble and reaching for the stars.

Walnut Beast

Absolutely beautiful! 

Machinebuilder

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Thank You Sponsors!