iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any body got a dogwood tree to show.

Started by Banjo picker, April 08, 2019, 10:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

The dogwood tree is strutting its stuff.

Its overcast today, but it still looks nice.  It had a companion, but it got to looking bad and had to be cut.  During a major drought a few years back my wife had me put a 55 gallon drum by them with a tiny hole in the bottom to keep them alive.  banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Southside

Not yet we have quite a few but they have not come into bloom as of today. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

We have a different species of Dogwood here.
It's an evergreen and has large fruit that look like strawberries. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_capitata

Seasons reversed so it's just ripening fruit now, and the local native birds really get into it, spread the seeds, hence it's considered "naturalised" now. It doesn't put on quite the same show when in flower, being an evergreen. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

The dogwood anthracnose has wreaked havoc with mine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

Redbuds are in the batters box right now.  Dogwoods are in the on deck circle.

It's always good to see the redbuds followed by the dogwoods.  We lost about 90% of the dogwoods to anthracnose, but there's still quite a few scattered throughout the woods.
HM126

Banjo picker

I had to go look that up "dogwood anthracnose" disease.  I wonder if that is what took out my other tree?  What I read said that it was more prone to higher elevations.  That would pretty much leave Mississippi out, as the highest point in the state is right behind my house at a whopping 806 feet above sea level.

How long does the dogwood down under stay in bloom? @Ianab 

I don't have a lot of redbuds on my place, but lots of dogwoods.

Its a nice time of the year to be in the wood here in the South.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ianab

Quote from: Banjo picker on April 09, 2019, 01:25:26 PMHow long does the dogwood down under stay in bloom?

Couple of weeks in the spring. It has large white flowers similar to the American species, but doesn't lose it's leaves over winter. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

The pictures don't really capture it all. Our woods are full of blooms this year.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Banjo picker

Looks like a nice place to take a walk.  Banjo

btulloh

Very nice. When the dogwoods start blooming it's the best time the year.

We're just at the tail end of the dogwoods here.
HM126

Don P

Ours are in bloom but the anthracnose is bad this year, we were very wet over a warmer winter. We used to have a couple of pagoda dogwoods in the woods, they are gone now, not real showy but I liked their form.

Southside

We have had a lot here this year as well.  Actually found about 100 young ones on our own place that I didn't realize were there.  Hoping to dig some up and transplant them come fall.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ppine

I like dogwoods.  They cannot take dry windy conditions in the summer. 
Eastern dogwood Cornus florida is the common landscape tree. 
Pacific dogwood Cornus nutallii is the native West Coast tree. 

Redbuds are more drought tolerant. 
Forester

Banjo picker

I planted a couple of pink ones for my wife....they have bot died.....but are just sitting there.   Hope they grow some this year.

SwampDonkey

Everything of course is frozen solid in the north this time of year. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!