iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood splitter motor

Started by husky2100, October 10, 2014, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

My wood splitter just took out the motor on it and it had a vertical shaft Briggs on it can I put a horizontal shaft motor on it without having to mess with the old hydraulics. I'm only asking because if I go horizontal the pump would sit above the filter from were it feeds in to the pump.

blades

Normally the filter is on the return line, although there might be a screen in the tank on the feed line.  Pump doesn't care about its orientation but you do need to be mindful of the coupling system pump-motor and eng shaft size. Pump input port should be located lower than the feed line from the tank .

sawguy21

It will work although you will need to fabricate a mount for the motor and pump. also extend the hoses. The tank is below the pump on most splitters so I don't understand blades' last statement.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Here is the pump to filter to supply tank (in the axle tube) arrangement on my splitter. Has worked fine since Jan. 1985. Original pump but just switched out the B&S engine for a new 8hp.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Oliver1655

While most horizontal/vertical splitters have the tank lower than the pump, it is preferred to have the tank higher.  If the pump is higher, the oil has the potential to drain out of the pump causing dry starts which can lead to premature pump failures.  The risk increases the longer the splitter sits unused.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Thank You Sponsors!