iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solo Peterson Millers, Milling Structure

Started by Nate Surveyor, November 14, 2007, 03:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

I have:

divided the areas around the mill into segments.
Like laying 9 playing cards on the table

The mill is Number 5. I push the horizontal cut going south, or down the page.
I pull with the blade vertical, going back north.

In slot 6, by the HIGH track I have unmilled logs, on RR tracks for an infeed deck.

In slot 1, I have my waste trailer.

In slot 2 I have my MILLED good wood.

I'd like to move my waste trailer to slot 4, but I have a NON running pickup there, for parts storage. It is up on blocks, and not quite enough room for the scrap trailer.

Anyway, How do you do it?

N
I know less than I used to.

Tom

My favorite layout   just not a swingmill                   

When working alone

You may also like to visit this old thread on "least expensive ways to increase production:(Link to a 2 page thread started by Bibbyman

Part_Timer

If I have short logs or help I have the trailer with good boards in slot nine.  That way I can just toss the board over the rail and onto the trailer to save walking down and back the length of the rails.  It saves a lot of steps over the length of a day.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Firebass

Nate

I have found this to be my best set up so far with my swinger.  One thing that a band miller might not consider is that the slabs are light enough on a swinger that you can easily toss them a good distance. ;D..  You just have to clear the chip pile ;)

http://www.ssindustrial.net/layout.jpg

Firebass

scsmith42

Nate, for description purposes I'd like to add one more row to your example, let's call it 10, 11, and 12.

1,   2,  3
4,   5,  6
7,   8,  9

My Peterson is set up adjacent to my kiln.  The mill has 66 feet of track, which occupies positions 5, 8 and 11.  My kiln occupies  9 and 12, with the loading door in between 6 and 9.  Coming out of the kiln door is a set of tracks, which occupies position 6.  This is where my kiln cart sits when I'm milling.

My waste pile is in the same location as yours - ie position 1.  I keep a tractor with a grapple parked there, and the waste slabs are tossed on the grapple forks for transportation to the burn pile.  My log pile is in position 4 (or 4, 7, and 10, depending upon the length of the log).

Small logs (16' and under) are milled in position 5, and the boards are offloaded about 8' over to the kiln cart in position 6.  On longer boards that are not going to be kiln dried, I will park a trailer at 2 and 3, and offload the long boards to the trailer.  For longer beams, I'll offload via forklift over the 4, 7, 10 side (prevents me from stockpiling additional logs there though).

I have low/low tracks.

Occasionally I will set up multiple bunks, two logs per bunk, and have one of my helpers loading one set of bunks while I'm milling on the other set.  This helps keep my producting running as quickly as possible, (and helps to utilize all of that nice track!)  The only drawback is the longer walk from the bunks in position 8 up to the kiln cart in position 6.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ianab

1,   2,  3
4,   5,  6
7,   8,  9

Last time we set up the mill 1,4 & 7 was a stream. 2,11 & 12 was a swamp. 3,6 and 9 were the hill we had to carry the boards up. 10 was where I could stand.

We still got the logs sawn though  ;D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

scsmith42

Ian, I'll bet that my setup is more practical, but that you've got the better view!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!