iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 021 not oiling chain

Started by jph, November 11, 2008, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jph

I assume it is a faulty or blocked pump. What do I need to remove to find the pump?
Thanks in advance. John

sawguy21

Did you try it with the bar and chain removed? The bar groove may be plugged. If still no go, empty the tank and fish the pickup body out with a coat hangar. It may need to be replaced. All else fails, remove the drum and clutch to access the pump.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawcollector

Do what Sawguy said first and be sure there actually is no flow from the saw.

The 021 has a pressed in pump (3). Remove the handlebar and then it is pulled out. I have the STIHL tool that is probably more expensive than it is worth but actually works very well to remove and replace the pump in the correct orientation. Take out the screw (6) and you can pull the oil line and pickup body (1 and 2) out from the bottom with the handle off and clean it and the tank and see if that solves the problem.
Also be sure the clutch drum is driving the little tang (11) on the oil pump drive gear (10). Sometimes they wear or break off, or the gear may be stripped since it is plastic. When the drum is installed there is a little line on it that you use as a reference point to engage the tang on the gear.
Let us know what you find out. I can do a pic of the pump puller if it comes to that.

jph

Thanks for that. I have tried fishing out the tube but the pipe does not seem long enough to come out . When I have the saw at full revs I get a very small amount of oil through but not enouogh to do any good. I think it is a job to do when I get back to the workshop, too much mud in the woods. I have had my nephew helping this week and it has rained every day. I hope to post a link to some video we took when I get home  at the end of the week.
John

Thank You Sponsors!