iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Faux Cordwood Wall

Started by Jeff, April 23, 2016, 08:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WmFritz

I wonder how your cedar cookies will compare with the rough sawn cedar on my house. Every two to three years, I spray a bleach/water mix on it and power wash. After a day to dry, I hit it with Thompsons. Most of the color comes back.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

I'm thinking an inch and a half thick cedar cookie could probably get split apart with a pressure washer.  Sometimes silvered looking wood can look good. Ive seen some beach front places on northern Lake Huron where they just let the cedar go grey/silver, and they really look pretty good. That is what I had planned on doing in the U.P. with a vertical log cabin if they would have let me build it.

I'm thinking now I'm going to build a pole barn in that spot one day in the hole I have there. ;D   12 foot side walls and the first 4 foot sided with 1" t@g treated plywood. Backfill it. I can side it with what ever I want, and what I may want is to infill between the posts with VERTICAL LOGS. It'll be for storage. Just simple storage. nothing more  Once its up and inspected as a storage pole barn, I'll go in and put a wood floor in it at 4ft and start storing beds and refrigerators and kitchen tables and hunting cloths and stuff like that in it. Maybe an occasional warm body or two as well. ;D ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WmFritz

Boss, that's pretty much the same story I told the Cheboygan County building inspector about my ''garage.''  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tell me if I'm wrong.....spraying your wall with an oil base spray IS NOT sealing it and the wood will still air dry.
The oil spray will keep most moisture out.
I always thought when someone says SEAL....I think about Poly or a wax, etc.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ox

There's been more than a few garages and barns that magically ended up being houses and homes around here, too.  After the inspection passes for the former, it's fair game what you want to do after that.  Nobody ever seems to say anything.  We call it po-boyin' it.

I like the silver/gray look, too.  It just seems that my untreated wood ends up an ugly brownish turd looking color with spots of sick gray mixed in.  Like something dead tossed its cookies.  I wonder if sea air has something to do with it?  The salts and minerals blown in off the water? 

Anyway, I hope your wall turns out like you're hoping.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

fishpharmer

Jeff, great idea!  8) I can think of several places I could use something like that (maybe ERC).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Texas Ranger

Need an old foggy bench in front of it for those morning coffee's.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Completed another step in my new entry project. I'm pretty happy with the sawing out of the log technique I used to saw out the wall ledge. Now I'm off to the cabin to try and find the perfect log to clad the corner.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Looks nice.   smiley_thumbsup  Do you want me to send you an Armadillo to go on top??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Magicman

My bluff has been called.  Now what do I do??   ???   help_me
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ox

I could send you a woodchuck or turkey buzzard...  :-* :D

Your project looks awesome.  Lots of attention to detail beaming to my untrained eye.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

thecfarm

Armadillo would look better than a goat.  ::)   ;D

That wall fits right in there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Now if I can just get Lou to give up this tree.  So far he won't let me have it. He has the property for sale now, so maybe its time to ask again. ;D

Corley5

Is it tamarack or spruce ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

Ça c'est beau!!!!   Nice job, Jeff I would not put anything on the cookies. I beleive they will weather  fine and look awsome when silver coloured!!!!   :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

That burl looks kraft'y.   :)

Jeff

The adventure continues on this project. This time off to the woods with my friend Mike in search for a tree to use to clad my post. I found a cedar at the cabin that was highly decorated by a Pileated woodpecker and in tough shape.   It was an adventure getting it out. We never would have done it without a logrite arch.   :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn68NVoul54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWdvWSsoUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBeXgbwfLC8

WDH

Nature is the original artist.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I was initially worried about the bark. After we drug it out, I tested it and it was on tight. I knew that dragging it home on a trailer 200 miles would probably dry it out and set the bark until decay loosened it instead of spring. Late in the day after cutting it and the day before I had to come home, it was warm and sunny. I tested the bark again and found it had loosened. Mike and I were able to strip the entire tree in a couple hours by getting pieces started with a screwdriver and them simply pulling it off.  It was getting towards evening when we finished and the bark started to set up again in the cooler temps. I was lucky to get it all off.  :)

Ox

Ma nature wanted you to put that cedar up so others can appreciate the beauty as well, didn't she?  It seems she allowed things to happen just right to get the bark off.  Cool.  :)

Jeff

My new entryway project is nearing completion. To think, this cedar tree I used, I didn't even really know existed only a week ago, now it is part of our home forever. Thanks to my Wood-Mizer, my Logrite tools and lots of help from Tammy and my friend Mike Foster :)

Thank You Sponsors!