iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Question

Started by jmaine, February 09, 2007, 07:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmaine

Hi, I have a question about the cost of logging.  I plan to build a timber frame barn this summer and the four longest beams would be 28' (7" x 12").  None of the mills in the area cut anything that long.  I do have a little bit of property (about 12 acres) with some sizable pines and hemlocks that are large enough. I'm considering cutting these down and having someone with a skidder haul them out and then hiring someone with a portable mill to cut them. My neighbor hired a logger who is doing some work in back of his place now, he has a skidder there along with other equipment. I was thinking about offering him some $ to haul the logs of the woods.  There is a fairly well defined trail that he can use to access the logs although I would probably have to do a little clearing.  I would guess that he might have to haul them 750-1000 feet.  What would be a reasonable amount to pay someone to do this? Should I offer him a per hour charge or a flat amount?     

I'd probably talk to my neighbor first to be sure that he didn't mind if I hired his guy, I don't want to take him away from his work at my neighbor's.  I've heard that loggers up here in the northeast are a little behind schedule. They need a good freeze to harden up the ground before they can reach some of the softer areas. It was warm through mid-January but has been cold since.   This guy might be so behind schedule that he can't  help me out.  Thanks for your help.

Joe

rebocardo

> Should I offer him a per hour charge or a flat amount?     

$100-$150 per hour depending on what equipment he brings. If he brings something such as a 30 ton Hough or a real skidder (vs. Bobcat) then expect to pay much more.

Personally, if it was me, I would buy a log arch and drag it out with my truck and/or winch.

Or I would hire someone with a portable sawmill, have them cut it up on site and drag the lumber out as it will be much smaller and lighter then a log. I would just cut the lumber longer so you could lop off the ends when done.

I have notched the ends of my logs so they would not dig in and dragged them out of places, though I never went for 1,000 feet.

If you have a good bumper and hi lift jack, you wrap chain around the log so you can lift it, block underneath, back up the truck, attach a chain to the log and bumper, and pull it out that way.

What I used for this type of work was a

1971 Ford F-100 4x4 V-8 390 granny 4 speed NP435 with air bags in the back and a custom made bumper of 5x5 x 3/16 tubing that I wrapped the chain around.  I would not recommend a Jeep Cherokee for this type of work  ;)

For a 1,000 feet with fairly small lumber (once cut) I would certainly cut it where it sat and then drag the lumber out one way or another. Even if it took a log arch.

Ron Scott

You should check with your neighbor and the logger and discuss what you would like done and when. Since the logger is working on your neighbors property he might be interested in doing a little extra work, maybe a week-end job on the side. Some of my loggers pick up a few extra dollars with small small jobs like this in the neighborhood's where we are working.

You should negotiate the price with the logger as to a fair price that you are both agreeable to. Keep in mind that the logger handles such trees regularly and has the equipment to do the task to save you extra time and effort.
~Ron

Rick Alger

Sounds like this could be skidded in a single hitch in less than an hour if they are down and limbed and the butts are accessible. At least in my area of NH this would not involve a massive amount of cash.

Ed_K

For small jobs like you described I'd charge $50. per hour.If the skidder has to be trucked from one place to your site,thats another $75. an hour.
Ed K

thecfarm

How many logs did you want hauled out?It's good that a logger is busy.Tells me he does a good job and people want him to cut for him.If it would only take a day,I would think he would do it.A skidder can move alot of wood in a day,if all he has to do is hook up and go.You said you would cut them down and have them all limbed out.Have you ever twitched any logs out of the wood before?They need to fall a certain way or you will have a big mess on your hands by the time he gets done.All trees  to be felled at an angle to any trails to prevent alot of damage to other trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Greenedive

If you can without upsetting your neighbor...go over and 'borrow' the logger for an hour or so and tell him just what you have in mind...and ask HIM what he would do and how much he would charge for the job.
Unless you have considerable experience dropping trees, (a tree having a 28' log with at least a 15" small end diameter is a pretty good sized stick of wood for a novice). If you can work it out to your mutual satisfaction...hire the logger for the whole job.

WDH

Are you only going to skid out 4 logs?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SteveB

If the logger is in the area and can easily walk the machine over to your site, I'd pay by the hour.  I've payed anywhere between 50-100 $/hr for cable skidder and man.  Depends on local rates, etc.  Anything more and you're probably paying too much.  Probably better for the guy doing the skidding to cut and limb himslef.  He'll have a good idea what will work best to pull it out.  If you're falling big pine only cut them yourself if you really know what you're doing and have experince cutitng for a skidder.  It should only take a few minutes to fall and limb each big pine, so It's not much of a time savings to do it before hand, and it is always safer to have a skidder really close buy when falling anyway, since they can often safely get you out of trouble (but better not to get in trouble in the first place).  Also, make sure they're limbed where they fall, or the big branches will scar residual trees and damage regen as the big stems are pulled out.  If you've ran skidders yourself it would be reasonable to do it before hand, but in that case you probably wouldn't be asking these questions.

I guess I haven't really added anything that wasn't already said. :)

spencerhenry

if it were me, it would have to be worth my while to bring my skidder over. if it involved hauling the machine, i wouldnt do it unless i had at least a days work. i get $85/hr for my old cable skidder with 9 chokers. my new machine which isnt here yet, i will charge probably about $120, its a dual arch with a winch. but regardless of what machine, it probably wont take more than an hour unless the logs are all stuck in amongst a bunch of leave trees.

jmaine

Thanks for all the advice guys.  You've given me a good idea of what the cost should be. I'll go over and talk to the guy and see what he says.   

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!