iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best method for a corner chisel sheath?

Started by weldoak, June 05, 2016, 09:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weldoak

I've been noodling around with some leatherworking making sheaths, but a good method for the corner chisel escapes me. I could probably make one out of wood with some time fiddling with dadoes, but if anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

I really don't want to set my corner chisel down somewhere and then bump into an edge that's pointing up at my unsuspecting arm.

logman

Not fancy but I put mine in the plastic container that a ship auger bit comes in.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Jim_Rogers

Years ago, I sold a corner chisel that had a nice sheath.
Before it when out, I took pictures of this sheath and tried to get my sheath supplier to make one up for me.
He did make one up for me but it didn't work.

Here are the pictures of the one we sold:

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

classicadirondack

I use a 12" piece of 2" dia fire hose I got from the Fire Dept.

classicadirondack

Haggis

Quote from: classicadirondack on June 06, 2016, 08:07:52 AM
But I like Jim R's much better

I have been doing some leather sheaths lately and if it were me I would tape up my chisel and make sure no water could hit the blade. Then soak the leather and bend it around the chisel for both halves separately and let it dry while still around the chisel. Then once you have both halves process to sew the two parts together.

Steeltoe

The trick to making it work well may be for the inner face of the sheath to be a bit narrower, so it tends to stay 'cupped' rather than flattening out.  Could do the same thing to make a triangular profile sheath that's even easier.

Me?  I'd just buy some Kydex, and make the inner face out of that, so it'd never try to lose its contour, even if it soaks up some oil or accidental moisture.

Brad_bb

I have a similar sheath to Jim's.  I had a shoe repair shop make it.  Works great.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Mad Professor

A quick cheapo way.

Some 1" or 3/4" foam heating pipe insulation. 

But leather is better, got some of those from Jim years ago.

P.S. the pipe insulation works great on auger bits too.  Comes in many diameters.

Thank You Sponsors!