iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a round walnut table

Started by tule peak timber, September 18, 2019, 07:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

I was lucky to get a couple truck loads of this English, pretty nice stuff.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

bwstout

Are you spraying lacquer? Look assume
home built mill

Crusarius

its crazy how that first coat wakes that table right up.

tule peak timber

Quote from: bwstout on November 06, 2019, 07:28:25 AM
Are you spraying lacquer? Look assume
In Ca., tough to do with the regulations.

Nebraska

They regulate wood  finishing or is it being commercial and using a spray booth?

doc henderson

the "proof coat"   appears to be wipe on, is it just a mineral spirit to bring out any areas that need attention, what more can you tell us.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

The proof coat is a single layer of poly that we can look at today for imperfections before the "main" event of multiple coat build up. Besides after any sanding we ALWAYS reseal the wood before walking away.
  The wipe on is a cleaning process before spraying.

tule peak timber

Quote from: Nebraska on November 06, 2019, 10:08:31 AM
They regulate wood  finishing or is it being commercial and using a spray booth?
In my area there are severe restrictions on VOC's for any type of finishes.
 My friends VOC exempt spray booth cost him right at 1,000,000$. That said I spend a HUGE amount of time researching legal alternatives for use in my shop.

Nebraska

@tule peak timber , My first thought for your friends spray booth price was "yikes", I don't blame you at all for doing  lots of research, I also wouldn't blame you for having another shop in rural  Nevada. 

catalina

reedco

Not many trees

tule peak timber

The table is finished. This pic is the last photo after two days of rub-out. Obviously a lot of glare but Tony has the surface looking like a diamond. Thanks for sticking around through the build !

Magicman

That is truly a gem.  I would love to see the sparkle in the customer's eyes when he sees it.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 07, 2019, 06:55:42 PMafter two days of rub-out

Wow - talk about attention to detail and patience.  That is truly beautiful work.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ed_K

Ed K

Andries

That's a beautiful finish to the project, Rob. 
👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

Thanks all.
  Just having coffee this morning and wondering if the the customer will load in on the other 7-8 tables he was talking about. It would be nice since I now have the tooling/jigs figured out and repetition would be a snap.
  On a bigger worry we have been working on a bid to clad the inside of a new government building in Sacramento since February and have hit a bit of a roadblock with one of the engineers on the program. Can't push a rope----we can only wait and run out of time. My first encounter with a "snowflake" that has political and economic power. Right now I'm throwing myself headlong into the "brown"  project 7 days a week .

Bill Gaiche

Good luck with the rope, hope you can change it to a piece of rebar....bg

WDH

After seeing this table, I think that I will have to quit trying to make tables :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Rob, seeing your work is always an inspiration.  Thanks much for sharing your tips and techniques.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 08, 2019, 09:41:44 AMworking on a bid to clad the inside of a new government building in Sacramento

If it ever comes to fruition, I'd like to come by and see you in action (and maybe lend a hand, at least lend an opinion ;))!  You'd only be 30 minutes from me.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

bwstout

Rob that is very beautiful table, I can only dream of doing one 
home built mill

Thank You Sponsors!