iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Attempt for rustic cedar bench

Started by kettlekorn, November 28, 2015, 04:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kettlekorn

A new neighbor had several acres of property cleared and windrowed for burning.  After meeting him and looking over the piles I got permission to pull out what cedars I could.  We were able to get several ( we got about 25- 8 and 10 footers out.  A couple of the piles had been set on fire but the cedars were only blackened so we took several of those.  I offered to build him a bench out of some of the cedars.  He picked it up today and was pleased with the effort.  I'm hoping we can get another load later. ( we only scratched the surface of the quantity there)  Here is the final product.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

kettlekorn

Outer Rondacker

samandothers

lowpolyjoe

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

The Farm. Really like the bench and the sign. Growing up we went to The Farm. Now I live here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is a very nice "First Attempt".  Very Nice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

You got some fantastic looking wood from those logs. great job on the bench. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

kensfarm

Wow.. that is the nicest bench.   

I cut down a nice cedar tree on my parents farm in July.. I was looking to build something special for my 2 sisters & husbands that spent a lot of time taking care of my mom. 

Any more pictures!  Great job! 

kettlekorn

Kensfarm;  Being wood from the home place will mean a lot to the family members.  Good luck.  I will try to get some additional pictures if the (now) owner will take some for me.

AK Newbie

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

rasman57

I bet he will give you more now!   Great craftsmanship.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

clearly the first attempt wont' be the last,, outstanding,, love the heavy duty build,, what a great salvage operation that turned out to be.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kensfarm

Thankyou..  or you can just show us pictures of the 2nd bench you make.  Hope your neighbor lets you salvage some more wood.  What did you use to make the deer & lettering? 

kettlekorn

Kensfarm:  A good friend is the local H.S. shop teacher and has a laser/computer system.  He was kind enough to do it for me.  He wanted no pay but I talked him into taking the remaining two  10 foot slabs from the log used to make the bench.  Maybe some student will turn them into something.

tnsnakebite

Great job! Looks heavy and well built. Like a bench should be.
Would like to see more pictures so I can get all the joinery details. Seriously would like to try my hand at one of those with the new to me mill I just bought.
Question, what is a good and proper way to save photos for later looks? Did not want to just "lift" it and stick it in a folder. Thanks everyone and what a cool place to  hang out.
2006 TimberKing 1220 20 H.P. Kohler. Trailer kit and 2 extensions. Purchase date 10-2015. Price-$3,300
J.D. 1070 w/loader

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

kettlekorn

tnsnakebite:  Feel free to do whatever with the photo.  I'll try to get additional photos of the particulars later

Busy Beaver Lumber

That is one awesome looking bench. Would love to have benches like that in my store
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!