iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worth It?

Started by farmboy6019, May 09, 2012, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy6019

New to the game & just a hobbiest / weekend warrior.   I own 35 acres of 30-year planted, fairly densely spaced pines with limited  smaller cedars and few younger oak & maple.  Considering purchasing a new or used smaller, gas-powered portable saw mill (perhaps a Wood-Mizer, 7 HP LT10 or similar).  Selective harvesting only as want to maintain beauty since we live there also (perhaps thin out 30% or equivalent of 10 acres).  My own lumber needs are minimal.  Interested in selling the wood.  Can I cover costs of mill and perhaps make a few $ selling in small non-kiln dried lots?   Advice much appreciated!

tcsmpsi

Not sure what you mean by 'dense'.  Whereabouts are you located?  You should have no trouble, with minimal marketing necessity, to pay for a small, manual mill with 10 acres of trees.

Welcome to the forum.   :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

wood monger

Welcome to the forum farmboy, not sure about your question, but I'm sure someone will be along who will know.

Magicman

I personally do not sell lumber but, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, farmboy6019.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Depending on where you are located, you will have a rough go of it trying to sell pine lumber unless it is specialty lumber.   A tractor trailer load of kiln dried SYP framing lumber is selling wholesale from the big mills for less than $300/MBF plus freight.  If you match the price at the big Box stores, you will only kill yourself for nothing.  You cannot compete on pine with the big boys if you are cutting your own logs unless you are cutting something that the big Box stores don't have.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

i agree that if your main goal is to pay off the mill it'll be harder if you mostly have pine.  not to say you couldn't do it but it would be alot easier if you have access to hardwoods.  however, many of us bought mills and will never pay them off.   :)   we just like to mill  8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

hackberry jake

I also look at it like it saves me money. I haven't sold much of anything, but I have payed for my mill already in what I haven't had to buy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Yes,if you don't count your time.  ;D  Welcome to the forum. A manual mill is slow and you have to do all the work. I have one and I know how slow it is. I just saw for mine own use. Takes time to get the trees out too. I won't mention the money it takes with just normal waer and tear either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Just simply being able to produce a product does not generate income.  There has to be a need and a market for that product.

My sawing business is simple because I do not produce a product for sale.  I provide a service.  I have a large sawmill that can handle any logs that the customer has and I am portable so that the customer does not have to load and haul the logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

By just having a mill word gets out and the customers will show up.  I have a LT 40 hd and never advertise.  I have plenty of business, sometimes to much to keep up.  Welcome, farmboy  ;D 

Planman1954

I would say buy the mill if you enjoy working with wood and building things. It is a great hobby and very rewarding building things yourself. That would be the determining factor for me. If you don't enjoy that type of thing, the mill will only be a fad and you'll end up selling it. Take care!
(Oh, and one more thing....once you have a mill, you'll discover so many things you absolutely need that you didn't have a clue about before you had it!)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!