iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning Blades

Started by Jacar, February 19, 2003, 07:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacar

Hey Guys,

I am still new at this.  I was sawing some white oak the other day and before I could catch it I had a pretty big build up on the outside of the blade.  So I changed blades and set it aside.  I was able to adjust my lubrication and prevent anymore.

My questions is before I have the blade sharpened what is the best way to move the build up on the blade.  It is hard now.  What say you?

Jack
Jack Watkins

Bibbyman

Probably the easiest way would be to put it back on the mill,  tension it up and then run it with your water/lube flooding it.  

Once clean, you may find it still cuts good.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Mark M

Easy-Off oven cleaner works well for my tablesaw blades and I don't know why it wouldn't work for bandsaw blades.

Mark

solidwoods

I would vote for:
Blade on make narrow cut ,mabey edging
If you mount 2 wire brushes on the mill, it cleans the blade as it turns.
Put them just before the driven wheel so the blade will be at it's cleanest point.
My mill uses 2 ea.  1/2" brushes,  set together so they equal 1" thick.    Brass is nice also.
Align the brushes so they touch the body of the blade, and are  about 15deg. off from the blade (this makes the brush roll)
The brushes don't have to be opposite each other, just both sides of the blade (or just the outer side if you wish).
You may be able to do this with  Cup Brushes also.
Oh yea!
The sharpener in me said to say.
Putting blades aside when they have build-up on the blade will rust pit the blade and shorten it's life.  Oaks as we know are the worst.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!