iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My moment of insanity... bought a Husqvarna 390xp

Started by ManjiSann, September 19, 2019, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

So in what may prove to have been a temporary moment of insanity I bought a used Husky 390xp off a popular auction site $499 + $40 shipping.

Saw looks in used but decent cosmetic condition, seller claims it "runs like a bear".

Thought I'd bring y'all along for the ride.

Should be delivered mid next week.

... it's very possible I have a CAD addiction  ;D ;D ;D

Brandon
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

lxskllr

I think if you have a legitimate place for your saws, you can't call it CAD. That's what I tell myself anyway  :^D

Here's my list...

echo 2511t
echo cs400
PoulanPro pr4218
Stihl ms362cm
Stihl ms661cm

The only redundant saw is the Poulan. I got that for the convenience of having a bigger saw at work. Otherwise, each is solidly it's own niche, without duplication.

When you go your shed, and have troubling deciding which 50cc saw you want to use that day, you probably have CAD  :^D

Southside

Compared to the other activities have told us about this purchase was actually quite sane!!   :D  Of course that also means you have progressed to Step 3 already, which explains why my chickens were getting nervous this evening..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on September 19, 2019, 08:53:41 PM
Compared to the other activities have told us about this purchase was actually quite sane!!   :D  Of course that also means you have progressed to Step 3 already, which explains why my chickens were getting nervous this evening..... :D
I was talking to the missus last night trying to convince her that chickens make good pets...  :) :)
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: lxskllr on September 19, 2019, 05:41:24 PM
I think if you have a legitimate place for your saws, you can't call it CAD. That's what I tell myself anyway  :^D

Here's my list...

echo 2511t
echo cs400
PoulanPro pr4218
Stihl ms362cm
Stihl ms661cm

The only redundant saw is the Poulan. I got that for the convenience of having a bigger saw at work. Otherwise, each is solidly it's own niche, without duplication.

When you go your shed, and have troubling deciding which 50cc saw you want to use that day, you probably have CAD  :^D
Not sure if I had a legitimate place for my saws yet... funny thing the other day my wife looked at me and said "why don't you go back to collecting guns?" Thing is, the chainsaw addiction is actually bringing in some money. Wife thinks I'm nuts and doesn't understand the need for multiple chainsaws but for now she's just smiling.
My list right now is:
Poulan Pro PR5020
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
Husky 390xp (once it gets here... talk about waiting for Christmas!)
Possibly a Poulan s25da
Got the first chainsaw out of necessity... spent $150 to save $50... in retrospect the math may not have worked out on that one  ;)  bought the second one so I could have a back up in case the first one wasn't running AND so I didn't have to swap back and forth between a 16" and 20" bar when cutting and bought essentially the same model to keep logistics simple. 
Bought the third one because, well I really want to try out pro grade equipment and I'd like something that can handle a bit of milling. Since the weight on the 390 is basically the same as the Poulans I may start using it a lot more to remove trees, we will see. 
I will always have a soft spot for the first Poulan at least... it's what started this crazy ride and I still think for what they are it's a great saw for the price provided one keeps in mind it's limitations. 
I may pick up the s25da as it's here local as a non runner for $20 and would give me a chance to work on a saw I don't need to really learn how they work AND it would be interesting to try a tophandle saw. As I don't plan to climb trees I don't really know that I need a tophandle but the price is right and like I said, I have a soft spot for Poulans. 
There, I think I've legitimized my need for every saw  :) :) :) so I'm not an addict, I can stop anytime I want... you know a little 40cc saw might just be the ticket for...  :D :D
Brandon 

Nebraska

Congrats , sweet saw ....." I"  think  you'll want a 24 inch bar for daily wear,  will you go 36" for milling? You know those little 40's would be really nifty for limb cleaning.  You can always go back to firearm  collecting (I hope).  Might need to work on the "classic pickup collection. :D

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on September 20, 2019, 09:54:29 AM
Congrats , sweet saw ....." I"  think  you'll want a 24 inch bar for daily wear,  will you go 36" for milling? You know those little 40's would be really nifty for limb cleaning.  You can always go back to firearm  collecting (I hope).  Might need to work on the "classic pickup collection. :D
The saw comes with a 24" oregon bar with the replaceable nose and it looks like while used it's in good condition. Whether it's straight or not remains to be seen  ;)  I figure that's a good size for 99.9% of the non milling work I'll do with it. 
For milling I will probably do a 36" bar, need to look into which one I want. I don't know tons about the different bars and chains yet so I need to research it more before I pick one out. 
If the bar it comes with is straight and decent I'll play with it for a while. This purchase has kinda tapped the budget so new toys for the Husky will need to wait a bit. Plus it's getting to be fall/winter and my ambition goes down in direct proportion to the temp  :snowball:
Brandon 

ManjiSann

So I've read that you can run .050 or .058 gauge chains on these saws, is there any major advantage to the .058 over the .050? 

My current saws are .050 so if I can I'd like to stick with that so I can buy rolls of chains to save money. 

Thanks,

Brandon 

TKehl

Just don't be like me.

Plan:  I'll have redundant saws so I can keep going if one goes down.
Reality:  I now have 3 saws that need fixed...   ::)  And just bought another one at an auction because it was cheaper than fixing the others in that niche.   :D  

At 7 saws, I begrudgingly told my wife, yes, I have enough.  :-\  I now have 8.  ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

ManjiSann

Quote from: TKehl on September 20, 2019, 10:22:27 AM
Just don't be like me.

Plan:  I'll have redundant saws so I can keep going if one goes down.
Reality:  I now have 3 saws that need fixed...   ::)  And just bought another one at an auction because it was cheaper than fixing the others in that niche.   :D  

At 7 saws, I begrudgingly told my wife, yes, I have enough.  :-\  I now have 8.  ;D
TKehl... are you my long lost twin brother??  HAHAHA seriously that sounds exactly like something I'd do. Good thing my wife isn't on this forum to read that or I'd be in some serious trouble.
I keep telling myself I don't want to become a chainsaw collector, I don't have the physical room.... not sure I'm actually convincing myself. When I bought the second Poulan I figured I had enough...  :) :)
@Southside do you think I'd have success convincing my wife I need a chicken coop so I have somewhere to store the chainsaws? 
Maybe I could pass off any "new" saws I acquire as having hatched from the chickens  ;) ;)  Might be an easier sale than "Sweetie, I have no idea where it came from just followed me home, but can I keep it please please please?"
It's just a good thing I'm married to so patient a woman  8) 8)
Brandon 

HolmenTree

Quote from: ManjiSann on September 20, 2019, 10:11:50 AM
So I've read that you can run .050 or .058 gauge chains on these saws, is there any major advantage to the .058 over the .050?

My current saws are .050 so if I can I'd like to stick with that so I can buy rolls of chains to save money.

Thanks,

Brandon
The Swedish built saws had the .058 chain gauge size going on since the 1960's, possibly earlier. The Japanese Shindaiwa and Echo adapted .058 chain also.
Still today most of the Husqvarna saws coming into Canada and parts of the US come with .058
The gauge is a compromise between .050 and .063 and seeing .050 chain other then Stihl is .058 between the cutters tapering down to .050 at the bar rails, you might as well have a even .058 drive link adding a little strength, more oil and chips clearance plus matching up closer to the bars  .063 sprocket nose which is now pretty well standard through the industry.
Alot more chain wobble when a .050 chain rotates on a .063 sprocket nose bar.
At one time .058 sprocket noses were standard over in Scandinavia on their Sandvik bars etc.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

gspren

If your wife knows how many chainsaws, guns, fishing rods, etc you have then you just don't have enough! It helps to have multiple storage areas so they can't all be seen at once.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ManjiSann

Quote from: gspren on September 20, 2019, 04:52:56 PM
If your wife knows how many chainsaws, guns, fishing rods, etc you have then you just don't have enough! It helps to have multiple storage areas so they can't all be seen at once.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ManjiSann

Keep checking the tracking info several times a day, willing it to move faster  ;D ;D ;D

Current estimate is some time this Thursday  8) 8)

Brandon 

btulloh

Like waiting for Christmas.  Time slows down.   :D
HM126

petefrom bearswamp

To paraphrase a long retired and perhaps departed Texas senator, I have all the saws I need but not all the saws I want.
my list
1973 Homelite super xl12
Husky 345 and 445
Echo cs600p
Echo cordless 58 volt.
With only 5 I feel like a piker
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Pine Ridge

Friend of mine bought a 555 husqvarna to cut his firewood with, yesterday he gave me his orange top 61 husqvarna , said he didn't need it anymore and he knew i like the older ones. It runs good, needs cleaned up though, has a muffler bolt missing. Now when i take it home where am i gonna hide it !!!!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

ManjiSann

Quote from: Pine Ridge on September 25, 2019, 07:09:15 AM
Friend of mine bought a 555 husqvarna to cut his firewood with, yesterday he gave me his orange top 61 husqvarna , said he didn't need it anymore and he knew i like the older ones. It runs good, needs cleaned up though, has a muffler bolt missing. Now when i take it home where am i gonna hide it !!!!!!!
Chicken coop  ;)
I've had a couple people give me guns that know I collect them, haven't been running chainsaws long enough to be given any... yet  ;D ;D
I've seen the Husky 61's come up for sell in the local ads a few times but never looked into them as right now I'm trying to only get saws I have an active need for. However, I would enjoy trying out some of the older ones as I always think it's interesting to see how things/technology has evolved over time. You'll have to tell me how you like the 61 and your thoughts on it compared to other newer saws in your collection/experience.
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on September 25, 2019, 06:41:25 AM
To paraphrase a long retired and perhaps departed Texas senator, I have all the saws I need but not all the saws I want.
my list
1973 Homelite super xl12
Husky 345 and 445
Echo cs600p
Echo cordless 58 volt.
With only 5 I feel like a piker
Haha, too true! My wife keeps asking me why I need more saws... I politely ask why she need so many shoes. It is sort of the same analogy in my mind, different saws for different occasions/needs and a few simply because I want them.

Brandon

Southside

Quote from: ManjiSann on September 25, 2019, 08:27:09 AMI politely ask why she need so many shoes

I was hoping to find a short video clip of Gene Hackman from "Enemy of the State" where he says to Will Smith - "You're either very brave, or very stupid".  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on September 25, 2019, 10:10:02 AM
Quote from: ManjiSann on September 25, 2019, 08:27:09 AMI politely ask why she need so many shoes

I was hoping to find a short video clip of Gene Hackman from "Enemy of the State" where he says to Will Smith - "You're either very brave, or very stupid".  :D
Haha it's a fine line between the two and I skate it every day  8) 8)
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Santa is late!!!  :snowball:

Ok so it's just a delivery estimate, estimate means it could not happen that way... but darn it I wanted my saw yesterday like the estimate said!!!

Childish rant over... sorta  ;)  Tracking says saw is on the delivery truck and will arrive today!!! 8) 8) 8)

Brandon 

ManjiSann

It finally came!!!  8) 8) 8)

Starts right up and even with the dull butt chain that came with it she just pulls! Few screws missing and chain brake doesn't work. Gonna contact the seller about the DOA chain brake as it wasn't disclosed in the listing but all in all it seems like it is a good deal  :D

Can the air filters be rinsed off or blown out? It looks like a felt one.

Now to figure out why the darn lawn mower suddenly won't work   >:(

Brandon

Old Greenhorn

Air filters can be blown off, but it's not a proper fix. Get a new one and make sure it seals around the base.Clear air makes these last a long time. Chain brakes can also be easy to fix. Get the manual and learn the saw. Spend a few bucks on replacing screws and make it back to 'like new'. You have a good one there.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ManjiSann

So it looks like the knee joint (part 4) is broken and the brake spring (5) is completely missing. 

https://www.partstree.com/models/390-husqvarna-chainsaw-2011-05/chain-brake-clutch-cover-5/

Does anyone know if there is a little bar or something that connects from the knee joint to the brake lever (11) in the above diagram.

If you look in the pic below there's a little circular hole in the metal part of the knee joint near the right side that would interface in the oblong hole in the brake lever right below the knee joint part?

Thanks,

Brandon 

Thank You Sponsors!