iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 625 vs 630

Started by Timbercruiser, April 27, 2014, 10:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Do you guys know the difference between a jonsered 625 and 630 ?  I know they were made in the same time period .  I have a 625 now and a 670. But im not sure about difference in 625 to 630 saws any good info is a great help. I heard the 630 is a higher reving saw ?   :)

hacknchop

I had a 630 one of the best all around saws I ever had switched to huskys because of a lack of dealers in the area. I mainly use 357xp now and find them to be about the same.
Often wrong never indoubt

sablatnic

The 625 was later than the 630, and was a consumer version of the 670.

HolmenTree

I bought my first 630 in 1982, I believe the 625 came out in '87 shortly after the 670.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

NCFarmboy

Main difference is 625 is 48mm open port cylinder 630 is 48mm closed port cylinder.   Closed port cyl makes more power.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Spike60

I would hardly call the 625 a "consumer" version of anything. Like the husky 61, it was an open port model on that chassis at a lower price point than the other saws in the family. The 630 is a good runner and I have one that runs as good as most 670/268's do. The 630 cylinder was shared with the original 162SE Husky, which preceded the 266XP. Both saws use the same intake block and gaskets.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SawTroll

Quote from: sablatnic on April 28, 2014, 12:27:39 AM

Semi-pro would be more fitting - it surely isn't a consumer saw.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Stihl promoted the "Farm Boss" models for the aging semi retired pro models at a lower price ....good marketing tool.

sablatnic

Quote from: SawTroll on April 29, 2014, 10:14:53 AM
Quote from: sablatnic on April 28, 2014, 12:27:39 AM

Semi-pro would be more fitting - it surely isn't a consumer saw.

Farmer saw then. Or semi pro. I still see them, quite often run by sons of the original owners.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 29, 2014, 10:27:30 AM
Stihl promoted the "Farm Boss" models for the aging semi retired pro models at a lower price ....good marketing tool.

Sadly, they also atarted making "Farm Boss" models that really just was large homeowmer saws, messing the picture up - and now Husky has started to do the same with their "Rancher" trademark.... ::)

"Rancher" once meant semi-pro, but that is no longer the case.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Husqvarna still makes a good semi pro Niko, the 555 for example.  Almost a full fledged 562XP, I've heard good reviews of it.

Spike60

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 30, 2014, 11:21:11 PM
Husqvarna still makes a good semi pro Niko, the 555 for example.  Almost a full fledged 562XP, I've heard good reviews of it.

Husky has now finally started calling these saws "non XP Professional models", which seems more accurate in my mind than anything they've tried in the past. (Such as the comical "landowner" label.) All 400 series models are homeowner and all 300 and 500 models are professional.

I've always felt that the 365 and such were professional models; sharing virtually every part with their XP variant. I think the confusion has always been a by product of the marketing success of the "XP" label. It almost works too good and if a saw lacks that XP decal guys will say it's not a pro saw.

This is not, and has never been, an issue with their cousins over on the Jonsered side. 630/670, 2165/2171, 2258/2260, do not suffer a split identity from the XP decal and are all considered pro saws.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

chainsawr

The 625 also had a rubber boot type intake, and better clutch mechanism.  Some had the standard and readily available 1pc coil too, instead of the old 2 part ignition.

I still like the 630 better with the closed port cylinder, and intake manifold block.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

Spike60

Quote from: chainsawr on May 01, 2014, 07:25:36 AM
The 625 also had a rubber boot type intake, and better clutch mechanism.  Some had the standard and readily available 1pc coil too, instead of the old 2 part ignition.

I still like the 630 better with the closed port cylinder, and intake manifold block.

Scott; the clutch and coil differences you mentioned are updates that applied to the entire family of saws and are not unique to either the 625 or 630.

A side note on those rubber intake boots on the 625 and 670 that guys should be aware of: There were early and late versions of this boot. Early had the wire clamp and the later ones used the hose type clamp. You can use the new intake on an earlier saw using a wire clip, but not the other way around. In fact, the cylinders themselves also changed at this time, as the new jugs had a thicker intake neck to match the new boot.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

shelbycharger400

I run a 32 in bar on my 630, skip chain,   and a 20 on my 670.     It works better than the big bar on bigger saw. 

SawTroll

Yes, of course they do - my point was that he current Rancher models aren't semi-pro saws... :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on May 01, 2014, 01:26:21 PM
Yes, of course they do - mt point was that he current Ranncher models aren't semi-pro saws... :)
Yes Niko   alot has changed since the Rancher 61 was introduced in 1978, the Rancher 44 semi pro  introduced in 1979 and the  Rancher 50 in '82.
:)

SawTroll

Fixed my spelling!   :D
Information collector.

chainsawr

Quote from: Spike60 on May 01, 2014, 08:49:58 AM
Quote from: chainsawr on May 01, 2014, 07:25:36 AM

Scott; the clutch and coil differences you mentioned are updates that applied to the entire family of saws and are not unique to either the 625 or 630.

A side note on those rubber intake boots on the 625 and 670 that guys should be aware of: There were early and late versions of this boot. Early had the wire clamp and the later ones used the hose type clamp. You can use the new intake on an earlier saw using a wire clip, but not the other way around. In fact, the cylinders themselves also changed at this time, as the new jugs had a thicker intake neck to match the new boot.

I've never seen a 625 with a coarse thread clutch.  I thought the 625/670 were introduced after the coarse clutch was phased out on the first 630s.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

SawTroll

Quote from: chainsawr on May 06, 2014, 06:36:37 AM

I've never seen a 625 with a coarse thread clutch.  I thought the 625/670 were introduced after the coarse clutch was phased out on the first 630s.

The 670 was introduced several years before the 625 was.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

If my memory serves me correctly the 670 introduced in 1986 and the 625 in '87.

zimraphail

I picked up a lightly used 625 from a farmer that moved to town for 120.00 a couple monthes ago! I put a new oregon clutch hub and carlton chain on her ! All I can say is it doesnt bog down in red oak! I Love my eco timberwolf but Think The old 625 has it beat! This Is a great old saw in my book!   I am partial to Jonsereds though! My first saw a 450 in earlly 80s has cut tons of firewood and still reliable as day I bought it!

Coach

I just picked what I believe is a 630. The plate with serial number and model is scratched up and can't make out the model #.  Dates to 1984. Was sitting in a friends shop for many many years and was considered a non running saw. Put in new gas and spark plug and the thing runs, idles and throttles up nicely.

It's in real nice condition overall, but a bit heavy, so undecided what to do with it.

Give it a tune up and keep it?  Will the seals need replacing after sitting so long?  I do have a carb kit for it, or is putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner good enough?

zimraphail

I would keep that 630 if I was you ! I have never heard of ultrasonic cleaner being used on carbs! I dissasemble and clean! My 625 doesnt feel any heavier than my eco 590 timberwolf! Great firewood saws!

sawguy21

The ultra sonic cleaner is the best for carbs, if that doesn't work time to replace it. The carb has to come apart for it's bath so why not put an inexpensive kit in while you are at it. Diaphragms harden over time and the needle is likely worn.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pine Ridge

Jonsered 630 on local craigslist here couple weeks ago, looked complete and clean, i thought seriously about going and looking at it but never did. 
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

ChrisRoss

I like the Jonsered 630. I used ultrasonic cleaner before on other tools but never used on carbs. I will try it soon.

zimraphail

well maybe ultasonic could be but it wasnt described as taken aprtJets remover screens etc! I suppose it could be I disassembe complete and use carb spray and compressed air! Old school I guess! . Carb kit while apart yes they are cheap! I wonder at the quality of allot of the aftermarket crap out there these days! OEM Jonsereds Carb kits for old saws can be hard to find! Great old saws I love all of mine

!

bushmechanic

I once owned a 625 II but I don't think it was ever as good as the 630. Mine went for parts after sliding out the door of the forwarder and ended up running it over!

Thank You Sponsors!