iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beaver 27 chipmunks 0

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, July 15, 2015, 09:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Have never had problems with chipmunks before, but this year they are all over the place and being very destructive to the wife's flowers and making a terrible mess with the mulch

Got a few have a heart traps and have caught 27 of them in the past 3 weeks thanks to their love of crunchy peanut butter. I then take them for and nice car ride to a protected wetland a few miles down the road and release them, so I know they are not the same ones being caught over and over.

Anyone else having problems with Chipmunks this year?
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Are you dumping them close to Jeff's house?  :D :D :D
Wasn't he having problems too?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Problem chipmunks. :D :D :D :D :D bat_smailey
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

We had problems with them since Spring, and then we got serious with them and through a process called 410, we haven't seen one in around 3 weeks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

Quote from: Chuck White on July 16, 2015, 06:44:30 AM
We had problems with them since Spring, and then we got serious with them and through a process called 410, we haven't seen one in around 3 weeks!

I think Jeff's solution works 24-7 is thriftier, less noisy, & less messy.
But what ever works for you as it is your problem.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

r.man

I find this thread very interesting as we had a severe chipmunk problem last year. This year I have only had two or three sightings of the little tree rats. All sorts of people were rat trapping them last year but I haven't heard a single complaint this summer. Same with mice, last summer the traps were selling out constantly in the local store and I was keeping multiples set all the time. I don't have one set this year.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sprucebunny

In 15 years living in this house, I've had major mouse problems and solved that and major flying squirrel problems and fixed that.
The red squirrels were very aggressive several years and a porkypine ate the hemlock top right off the second floor porch.

The only rodent that hasn't had it's moment of fame and loathing is chipmunks  :D
Of all the animals mentioned, they are the only things I haven't shot at  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

clww

That community blanket idea in my head keeps getting bigger.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

goose63

I have gopher's I sit in the shade with the 308 when I see dirt come out of the hole the gopher come's out of the hole and the cat's eat good  :rifle:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

21incher

I have a weasel this year that seems to be handling my chipmunk and baby rabbit problems lately. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

Now that you mention a weasel, I've been trying to think what it may have been that took out a skunk here a couple days ago. Found the long fur/hair from a skunk but no other remains.
Nothing but a slight skunky odor, but smell and hair was certainly that of a skunk.
Maybe a coyote?? 
Maybe a weasel??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

Spruce, you didn't mention skunks. If anyone has a skunk problem I can describe an easily built wooden trap that allows you to safely trap, carry and release a skunk into another location without the risk of spraying.

Goose do you get large numbers of gophers on your property?

WmFritz

Quote from: clww on July 16, 2015, 04:51:58 PM
That community blanket idea in my head keeps getting bigger.

... maybe the pelts could be sewed into shirts for Busy Beaver Lumber to embroider?  ;D

I've got a family of foxes hanging around the house this year. They are welcome to me for my critter control, especially my munk problem. Unfortunately for one kit, last week my pregnant poodle got a hold of it and I couldn't call her off quick enough.

In fact, the poodle has a better score on munks then I do with my bucket trap.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sprucebunny

r.man, no skunks.

I think I have a weasel, also. I see them once or twice a year. Boy, do those things move fast  :o I leave an old frozen chicken leg out for them occaisionally in the winter.
But then when I think about it... why do I still have a few chipmunks and zero red squirrels ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

goose63

r.man those pesty pocket gophers are all over the place
goose

r.man

I knew a dairy farmer who controlled the ground hog population with some kind of a rifle with a 308 brass and a 22 lead. Had a muzzle velocity close to a meteorites entry speed and a 15 power scope. Read a story a few years ago in the Farmshow magazine about gophers and traps. I had no idea their numbers were so high in fields. www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=20242

goose63

r.man when I was 13 or 14 I got $1.00 a gopher bought 15 a day man 500 a day I would of been in tall cotton
goose

beenthere

r.man
Believe they are called "wildcat" and according to Wikipedia, many combinations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_cartridge
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

We have them terrible, especially in established alfalfa fields, only problem with them is the mounds they leave plug the windrower all the time, it's the badgers that go after them that leave the big holes and do the damage.  Dad caught something like 72 of them in traps (I think he was using 12) one year in about 2 days after we had mowed the hay, he didn't even get 100' into the field  :-\, apparently they like sand.  Funny story, met a guy at a lake we camp at and he asked me what was making all the mounds in his yard, I said pocket gophers, turned out he was an ag college professor, thought maybe he'd of known that one  ::), I did tell him how to get rid of them.

r.man

I did a bit of research on line and there are lots of drags etc designed specifically to knock down the mounds in the spring before the hay gets very high. Most of the mounds are created in the spring so knocking them down in early summer cuts down on machinery problems during harvesting.

gfadvm

My place was covered with gopher mounds when I bought it 20 years ago and in less than 30 days, I had eliminated all the gophers. I think the tool to deposit gopher bait below ground is called a Gopher Stopper. The poison is all underground and I have never seen a dead gopher (I was worried about poisoning my JRT). It is surprising how few gophers it takes to create a huge mess.

When new gophers move in from the neighbors, they will use the existing tunnels and be poisoned from the previously deposited bait.

gfadvm

Correction: The tool I used is called GopherGetter Jr.

Chuck White

MagicMan nailed it, Remington Accelerators.

They were available in 30-30, 308, and "I think" 30-06.

Velocities ranged from around 3,400-4,000 fps.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!