iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exercise in futility

Started by bushmechanic, September 21, 2021, 06:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmechanic

The guy I'm currently working for wanted to extend the life of his tracks. I'm not sure that it's worth the hassle, time and money. Anyway it's not my dog and I'm paid by the hour regardless so this is what I did for him. Made a jig for the press and stamped out some u straps to be welded on. Took a couple of days to do one track. Anyone else try this and how long did it last? Personally I think the mild steel will grind away quick.

Riwaka

mike_belben

You done a fine job on that. 
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

I did the same thing a couple yrs ago. I used 1/2" and had it bent. It was a lot of welding. And it dose work out ok. It took a long time for that last bit of the link to wear through. Next is weld the round rod inside the track pad to give a bit more grip tire to track. Olofsfors had it on display at the last equipment show

bushmechanic

Thanks Mike! Snowstorm it's good to hear it will last a while. I think that on a harvester it would last a while but a forwarder it's iffy.

Mountaynman

we bought a kit from quadco some kind of leftover thing for a set of tracks on the forwarder 2800$ and 1500$ for the welder had the new c links and pads like you are welding on now ran another 7000 hrs and still looked ok when i sold the machine they were wore in worse than what you are fixing just couldnt stand 10K for new ones at the time.
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

chevytaHOE5674

I did the same to an old set of forwarder tracks and then put them on the harvester. They ran for 2 more years when we parted ways, wouldn't surprise me if they were still out there someplace running.

Thank You Sponsors!