iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thee Homestead Life & build

Started by Sedgehammer, June 07, 2020, 02:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Hope you got a good night's sleep. That's where it all begins. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 30, 2020, 06:07:45 AM
Hope you got a good night's sleep. That's where it all begins. :)
I had just replied to your comment in the other thread.
no, haven't really slept a wink. They musta gave me an opiate after I was in recovery. I know they gave me a pain pill. Can't sleep if I take them. 
Yes, very agreed on the sleeping. This was only allowing me a coupler of hours a night. I suspect I'll be back to my 4 or 5 now, as that's all my back allows me. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Don P

Glad it went well , I hope that gets it 8)
We've been under the dump truck the past few days doing a new clutch and I got up this morning to numb pinkie and ring fingers on the right, that's the ulnar, which made me think of this. If you haven't had one and continue to have problems get a nerve study done. My neck has a pinch point on that nerve that does that as well, he called it a double crunch. Helping a neighbor with ceiling drywall this morning, that'll fix it  :D.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Don P on July 30, 2020, 08:04:25 AM
Glad it went well , I hope that gets it 8)
We've been under the dump truck the past few days doing a new clutch and I got up this morning to numb pinkie and ring fingers on the right, that's the ulnar, which made me think of this. If you haven't had one and continue to have problems get a nerve study done. My neck has a pinch point on that nerve that does that as well, he called it a double crunch. Helping a neighbor with ceiling drywall this morning, that'll fix it  :D.
Thanks! It's been a bit since I've been good and it can go instantly. Mine did May of 16 when i fell. The instant before that i could do all day long no matter what the do was. Today I am lucky to remember what the do was......
Anyways back to your clutch and your dump truck..... :D :D :D :D Oh sorry there. I won't add in there that I don't miss a day since my wife sold the last truck..... If I may inquire, what is your truck and I promise I won't laugh anymore.
I know they did a bunch of pin pricking me after the accident with electricity. Not so fun, but not so bad either. Just made me leak in many places.
Yes, sounds like your it also. I'll keep updating.

Don P

Oh you can  :D. It's an '82 Ford LTL9000 with cat 3406 and 235k miles on the truck, I think that was the original clutch, which was actually fine, the throwout bearing let go. A buncha blue balls fell out when the clutch popped out and hit the ground and I didn't see any grease. Tranny's bolted back in, just a couple of days of putting the rest of it all back together again. Exhaust pipes pretty much fell apart as we removed them, got a good look at the turbo and steering box while wandering around it and looking, need to quit doing that  :D. 

The nerve doc said he was sending an electrical signal down the nerve and based on the time between point A and B he could tell if the nerve was impinged. He said he's had people fall asleep while he was doing it and others said it was worse than childbirth. He gave me the entire spectrum  :D. With that full time, you have not been having fun. Keep us posted, I hope it gives you relief.

Sedgehammer

Oh that's a good truck. Really good motor. With that low mileage, tranny and rears should be like new. It's amazing how long stuff stays together until you touch it..... 🤣
Ford's were underrated. We had a sterling. Best truck we owned. I think I have a picture. I'll look.
Ok, found it and some of the other trucks.

The Sterling just had a C12. Under powered, but was a joy to drive.

This Kenworth also a 3406E. 750 HP.

The Pete above turned into the pete below when she sold it. 3406E. 550 HP

samandothers

Did carpal tunnel which did not help.  Then a neck fusion, did some good.  Then the ulnar nerve, not much difference.  Finally had another fusion surgery.  Most numbness has past.  Still a small amount of pain at times but it's better.  Never had swelling.  

I think I waited too long and nerve damage was too far along to reverse it all.  Hope your results are good.  It takes months for nerves to recover. .

Sedgehammer

Quote from: samandothers on July 30, 2020, 10:16:06 PM
Did carpal tunnel which did not help.  Then a neck fusion, did some good.  Then the ulnar nerve, not much difference.  Finally had another fusion surgery.  Most numbness has past.  Still a small amount of pain at times but it's better.  Never had swelling.  

I think I waited too long and nerve damage was too far along to reverse it all.  Hope your results are good.  It takes months for nerves to recover. .
😱 yikes! So far, so good. Hand swelling is basically gone. A little pain in ring finger and pinky finger. Arm overall doesn't hurt. I have to be careful to not over use it.

Sedgehammer

Don P

From my understanding the ulnar controls from right down the middle of the hand to the pinkie. I think nerves are the slowest body part to heal, I'm still holding out hope for one a doc nicked when I was in my 20's :D.

Quote3406E. 550 HP
Can you clue me in on what the letter designations are and mean. As far as I can tell from the motor plate and owners manual this is a straight 3406, no E or C or anything, maybe an early model? When looking for parts like the turbo I always see a letter designation. How interchangeable is stuff across those designations?

mike_belben

Straight 3406 is very old.. Today people would call it a 3406A.. 1970s.  Then came the B & C models.  Mechanical pump, very similar except the C had some minor updates.  3406E is fully electronic injection.  Youll want to look at your serial number for the first 3 digits.  2WS, 1LW, 6NZ etc.  Start googling those numbers for info.

Unless your turbo is really spanked, theyre very cheap and easy to rebuild.  If the fins are all in good shape there is no need to balance.  Youll have a rivet tag on the CHRA for part numbers to find a kit.  Like $120 and basic hand tools.
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

A friend of mine had a 3408 extended hood with twin stick tranny. In a Pete

Walnut Beast

Hopefully you will heal up pretty good 👍

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Don P on July 30, 2020, 10:35:14 PM
From my understanding the ulnar controls from right down the middle of the hand to the pinkie. I think nerves are the slowest body part to heal, I'm still holding out hope for one a doc nicked when I was in my 20's :D.

Quote3406E. 550 HP
Can you clue me in on what the letter designations are and mean. As far as I can tell from the motor plate and owners manual this is a straight 3406, no E or C or anything, maybe an early model? When looking for parts like the turbo I always see a letter designation. How interchangeable is stuff across those designations?
I think your right. Trouble is it feels pretty good, but I'm so medicated, I don't know when it's too much already.
Yeah, I think that nerve is what they call 'toast'..... :o
Mike is correct on the designations.
The 3406 is the best truck motor Cat ever made. The numbers just indicate progression.
It varies what can move around. There are many different 'marriages' that can be made. We had a really good mechanic that wood constantly do that. Just search the googles.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on July 30, 2020, 11:24:09 PM
A friend of mine had a 3408 extended hood with twin stick tranny. In a Pete
Kinda cool, but a mess to drive

Sedgehammer

Well I got a solid 4 hours of sleep. Back said enough of that. arm/hand feels good. Ring finger still a little stiff. Thumb is a little sore, dunno why. 

Sedgehammer

Nice afternoon/evening. My son is out with his new bride. He noticed how still the pond was, so that why the early shot.

Sedgehammer

Hand/arm is good. Slight pain and stiffness in ring finger and thumb though still. Me bride said my hand was actually still swollen slightly, but this morning I think it's all gone. Didn't feel good yesterday though. Felt off all day. Did take a nap around 5:30. That helped. Feel better today, but only slept 3.5 hours, so we'll see.

Sedgehammer

We have steam......

It is very hard to open bottles I've noticed. My right arm elbow/shoulder hurt and with my left arm being SOL, it's really hard to do. Such a simple thing, yet not so simple.....
As to the diet Pepsi, yeah,  I know, not good, but I can't stand coffee. Need my caffeine.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Sedgehammer on August 01, 2020, 07:48:12 AMAs to the diet Pepsi, yeah, I know, not good, but I can't stand coffee. Need my caffeine.

I used to drink a LOT of coffee when I was working 7+ years ago.  CPAP helped eliminated that need.  So I switched to green tea.  You can get some potent teas if you really need the caffeine but want to be rid of soda.  I do like coffee at times but I drink maybe 2 or 3 cups a year now.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 01, 2020, 10:41:39 AM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on August 01, 2020, 07:48:12 AMAs to the diet Pepsi, yeah, I know, not good, but I can't stand coffee. Need my caffeine.

I used to drink a LOT of coffee when I was working 7+ years ago.  CPAP helped eliminated that need.  So I switched to green tea.  You can get some potent teas if you really need the caffeine but want to be rid of soda.  I do like coffee at times but I drink maybe 2 or 3 cups a year now.
Ahh, you finally got sleep. Something most take for granted. Good for you!
Yeah, me bride sometimes makes a green tea/lemonade that's pretty good, but I miss the carbonation. Something about the throat I guess...... I do take green tea capsules though. It's really good for you. 

Sedgehammer

Pups. Great Pyrenees. 8. Fresh. 

Sedgehammer

Sedgehammer

Bonfire time.....

Needing this gone. Trees from barn area coming back here maybe as early as next week. Plus nice evening for some dawgs on a stick. 

Sedgehammer

Thank You Sponsors!