iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framing Furniture

Started by scshaw, February 05, 2015, 01:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scshaw

Hello,

Newbie here, just getting started in the "learning" process.  When time permits, I'd love to frame a small 1.5 story cabin in Maryland, dismantle, and erect on property I purchased in WV.  Perhaps my question/request is off base, but since I'm out a year or so from when I'd like to start and my current workspace is not large...are there plans available for furniture (bunks, chairs, etc) that may help me to develop some skills and principals on a much smaller scale.  This way I thought I could learn on smaller ticket items, while also progressing towards my goals of the cabin.

I appreciate your input and hopefully I'm not completely off base with my thought process.

Also, are there any mills that are recommended in the mid-east (maryland area).

Regards,
Steve

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! Are you going to build a timber framed cabin or logs? If you are looking to try mortise and tenon joinery, I would suggest building a pair of saw ponies. If you search the Forum, you will find a thread or two on them. I built mine out of 6"x6" white pine. The trestle could be modified to be used as a base for a lot of things.

This is one of mine:

And my Dutch timber framing trestle, also made from 6"x6" white pine.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Hello scshaw, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scshaw

"Welcome to the Forum! Are you going to build a timber framed cabin or logs? "

Timber frame and thank you!

Roger Nair

scshaw, you can get all manner of wood from Hicksville Planing Mill nearby Clearspring MD
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

jander3

Here are a couple of projects I cut to learn to frame in my garage. 

Thank You Sponsors!