iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preping for the build of my life

Started by scully, January 14, 2015, 08:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

Hey folks , I usually hang out over at "sawmills and milling " But here's the deal ... I have never had a house , I live in a trailer I bought new in 89 . I have 32 yrs. construction experiance ,and , have built some cool stuff . I have what I consider an above average understanding of basic timber frame /log construction . So I have decided with less than a year and a half to retirement I wanna build a house on my land . The trick is I have to go low buck but will not settle for less than awesome ! I intend to mill all the material less sheet goods etc . So far I think the way I wanna go is timber frame ground floor with a gambrell roof 2nd floor less all the timber framing . Does this make sense ? I will be drawing up my plans etc. but, I think this can work really good . It wont be a big house ,but I figure I can get a lot of bang for the buck with my own mill and skill . My intent here is to lean on the great knowledge of those here when I need some guidance . As for now I will use the winter to get things in order . I hope you don't me stoppin in for some tech.
support now and then . For starters I'm lookin to go 30x40 ??? 8x8 post on a 10 " block foundation /basement. Allowing for an outer 2x4 wall cover .I have tools............
I bleed orange  .

BCsaw

It seems a shame to have 32 years of skills and not put them to use for yourself. Good for you! I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

Can you post a drawing of your plan?

Good luck.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

witterbound

Sounds like a wonderful goal.  But don't overestimate your savings from cutting your own wood.  Be realistic.  My timbers in my timberframe accounted for less than 5 percent of the total cost of my home.

jdtuttle

Scully, Sounds like a nice project. Looking forward to following the thread. I have been building my house for 25 years now. You mentioned it won't be a big house, 30' x 40' with a full basement & 2nd floor. That's going to be over 3ooo sq. ft. ;)
I built my timber frame with slab on grade construction. I poured a 2' X 12" footer 4' deep, laid 8" block up, added another 8" where posts landed & poured a slab with radiant heat in the floor. Nice & warm in the winter. Looking forward to your build. I'm in Finger Lakes Region near Ithaca. Where are you located?
Jim
Have a great day

Dave Shepard

Looking forward to your build. Sheet goods? What are they?  :D You will have plenty of sheathing boards after you get your timbers cut. I would go TF all the way up. If you can do it on one floor, you can do it on two. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thechknhwk

I admire your dedication Dave, and perhaps my logs weren't as big as the ones you use, but there is no way I would have had enough boards to even think about covering the roof on my barn.  I used over 170 sheets of osb. :o

Dave Shepard

Sounds expensive. I'd have bought more logs just for sheathing. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fred in montana

If you have a good source of logs that don't cost a fortune, I think building a log cabin would be more economical than a timber frame. With the timber frame you still need lots of lumber, insulation, sheetrock, siding, etc. Going with logs will reduce the amount of other stuff you need to buy.

In the past I have bought a load of saw logs for $2000. With that I could build most of a house.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Dave Shepard

Around here, you would need logs two feet in diameter to get the R value.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!