iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID wood for me?

Started by Sprucegum, March 24, 2009, 11:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

I made these boards out of scraps from various pallets. Then when I was asked what kind of wood I used I realized I didn't know what I was talking about  ::)  :-[  :-X

I know the maple and the walnut but what is that red stuff and that other brown stuff and that other one  ???

Mike_Barcaskey

out of pallets?
incredibly beautiful
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ron Wenrich

Any of it from imported pallets or is it all North American stock?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sprucegum

I believe the red brder is from Brazil. All the rest is American, at least it came on a Minnesota railcar  :)

TexasTimbers

they could be any number of species from a photo like that, but unless someone happened to work with one of them  a great deal and the specie is relatively unique in some characteristic,  it would be difficult if not impossible to accurately ID from a photo.

And how do you know it is maple and walnut? I never heard of many pallets being made from maple and walnut though I am sure it happens. Unless you know for a fact that it's walnut, you have to remember there are dozens and dozens of species that can look similar to walnut especially end grain. Unless you are looking at something like quartersawn sycamore it's hard to be sure.

And actually I have seen *some* photos of lacewood that looked pretty close to quartesawn sycamore. That's why qtr sawn syc is also called American Lacewood. In your hands, you can easily tell them apart but from some photos it is not possible to be sure every time when the pattern is similar.

Coming in on a MN railcar don't mean nothing. Pallets move around the planet more frequently than politicians break promises. I wouldn't begin to try and make any guesses from those photos. The only thing I know for sure is that they are beautiful. Great job. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Fla._Deadheader

Just to be on the safe side, I would call them all "EXOTICS", and raise the price, accordingly.

Purpleheart is used for Pallets, along with most other exotics. It is amazing what locals just throw away as  "Basura", (Trash), until YOU want a piece. Then, It's GOLD.  ::) ;D

If that stuff is real hard, good chance it's Exotics.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Even in that last board, the centre pieces have rings too distinct for the degree of clarity of the image. The border could be maple though. The way those images were taken, is like me standing 10 feet away with poor eye sight. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

I am standing right in front of them with poor eyesight and getting the same view  ??? I have been throwing out words like "white oak" and "teak" and getting away with it  ;D  I know the walnut and the maple because I have worked with them before - and those pieces may not have come from pallets. I'm just using up the scraps around here that don't seem to have a home anywhere else.

Everyone that's getting one knows they are just scrap so I'm getting paid accordingly. I could never charge enough to make it worth my time anyway.

Chico

The fed looks kinda like Cativa or possibly andirobia but I don't think it's dark enough could bre though as diff reigions down there can really make the colors vary I saw some plantation wood when I was down there that resembles it too but I can't remember the name of it
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Thank You Sponsors!