iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When to say when?

Started by ScottInCabot, August 30, 2015, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottInCabot

I like the Stihl 064...don't get me wrong.  But when is it just time to say when  on a saw?

Few months ago, it was fuel 'issues'....replaced all 'that stuff' - fixed and running.
Few weeks ago, it was electrical 'issues'....replaced the coil - sort of fixed and barely running(doesn't run well under load).

I need to crack the top and replace piston, rings, and probably the bearings since I'd be in there....but jeez already!  One thing after another, all the time....  I've worked on the saw more then I've been running it!

So, when do you say 'when'(or enough), and bale on a saw?

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

sawguy21

It sounds worn out. If you are depending on it for your livelihood it would be time to consider replacing it, time is money. Rebuild the current one as a backup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

Quote from: ScottInCabot on August 30, 2015, 11:04:54 AM
I like the Stihl 064...don't get me wrong.  But when is it just time to say when  on a saw?

Few months ago, it was fuel 'issues'....replaced all 'that stuff' - fixed and running.
Few weeks ago, it was electrical 'issues'....replaced the coil - sort of fixed and barely running(doesn't run well under load).

I need to crack the top and replace piston, rings, and probably the bearings since I'd be in there....but jeez already!  One thing after another, all the time....  I've worked on the saw more then I've been running it!

So, when do you say 'when'(or enough), and bale on a saw?

Scott in Cabot

Would be fun to use a saw like that for a project saw....just saying.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ScottInCabot

She's rough, and rough to look at....I don't polish my saws and sit them on shelves.  They get used, cleaned, repaired, and then used some more.  I picked this one up, probably after about twenty other people had played with it over the years, broke it, and then sent it down the line(until I was unfortunate enough to be told how great it was)....

Top of the piston is black(looked through the plug hole), so I'm sure the cylinder is probably beat like a dead horse...not sure it's worth putting a piston and rings into?  I have other big saws...J2188, J2095 that's been 'touched' by Randy(woods ported), I was thinking maybe I need a 'medium' sized saw(got a little MS250 for limbing and such)?

Work provides saws while in the bucket, or clearing the 'right-of-ways'(those are tax payers' pieces of junk, but I make due).....but my milling and such does require me to make cuts.  Guess I'll set that old girl to the side to gather some dust and start looking for a 60-70cc medium saw.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

ZeroJunk

Double check and make sure you used the right coil if it is not running the same after you replaced it.

Replacing the piston is pretty quick and simple, bearings not so much since you will have to split the case.

Luckily, they bring good money even worn out.

ScottInCabot

Quote from: ZeroJunk on August 30, 2015, 04:32:31 PM
Double check and make sure you used the right coil if it is not running the same after you replaced it.

Replacing the piston is pretty quick and simple, bearings not so much since you will have to split the case.

Luckily, they bring good money even worn out.

It was running 'eh' before the coil died.  Replaced it and it's back to the 'eh' again....

I'll need to think on a possible 60-70cc saw for the herd.  And maybe trying to find a price that I'd feel 'okay about' on letting this one leave...

Whom could give a fair value on a 064, that wouldn't have a 'dog-in-the-fight'??

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

WV Mountaineer

You've answered your own question.  The saw is just worn out.  You have two choices.  Rebuild it or not.  A Stihl 64 is no medium saw either.  It's a 54 MM piston.

Since you already have two big saws...

God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Thank You Sponsors!