iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

costs of logging pine vs hardwood

Started by John_Boisselier, November 28, 2001, 09:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Boisselier

What are the rates being paid on pine logging for custom cutting in your areas?  We've been offered a half-million board foot of white pine.  A good portion of it is large enough to use standard Doyle scale to figure it, but a lot of it is smaller and frankly not worth logging by scale.  Do you happen to know what is being paid by the ton  or what scale standard is more appropriate for just cutting, trimming and bucking smaller pine , but not skidding?  Most of what we do is Hardwood and large Pine, and so I have no idea what smaller softwoods should pay.  We need to know what our expenses are likely to be so as to venture a fair and reasonable bid.  :-/
The Woodsman

Jeff

I have no information from our mill because we are strictly hardwood. Sometimes we may have pine on a job but usually sell the logs to another nearby mill that makes log cabin logs.

One of those deals where they saw out square cants then run them back through a machine to make em round again ::)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

In Texas, the cost of logging hardwood or pine is basically the same, anywhere from $20 to $25 a ton, depending on the job.   More on some tracts.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!