iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally back to work

Started by log cutter, September 26, 2015, 02:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

log cutter

Started back to work on Monday after being shut down due to fires. The piece I'm cutting  was burnt pretty hard. No needles left on the trees and the trees are as black as used motor oil, just plain nasty but nice wood.

I'm having lunch and I hear a vehicle coming.....In drives the neighbour, mad  that we are logging and is concerned that we are damaging the environment. In the course of his ranting and raving  he made the comment of how he was concerned that we would dump diesel on the ground and pollute his drinking water. I thought to myself "yeah at 2 buck a gal its like we can afford to do that".

In the course of our "visit" his real concern was ,he didn't want any trucks using "his road". which happens to be the deeded access road, for a major timber company who has a section of burnt wood. What he wanted was for them to use our access road.I tried to explain to him I had absolutely no control over what that company does or doesn't do. He continues on about it and I "Try" to explain to him I don't work for that company.

Finally he leaves because I'm  an idiot. Any way I'm glad to be back to work.

Timbco 475E

Autocar

I only cut one burn job in my life all I remember that every day I was black as coal and the equipment was the same cleaned air cleaners every day. Nothing like you guys have out there but probably simular. As far as people go we have them here in Ohio also but it sounds like you handled it ok  ;). Good luck and work safe !
Bill

coxy

your going to ruin the environment  :D but the burnt trees and other things is ok to him  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\  people like that I just yes them to death  ;D  glad your back at it

timberlinetree

Must be a big change going back. Do you need to wear dust mask/bandana for the ash? Glad you are back at it. Work safe.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

log cutter

This will be the fourth burn job for me. The ash is very hard on man and machines. I wear a high quality dust mask and even with that I still end up breathing some of it.
Air filters and rads  get blowed out daily. Chainsaw air filters get clean every couple of hours.

And as far as the neighbour goes I totally understand where he is coming from " the fear of the unknown and the what if's". This is what happens when city people buy land in the country and their exposure to logging is what the see on PBS or the National Geographic TV .

Timbco 475E

Ron Scott

A "dirty job". Was the timber purchased before the fire burned it?
~Ron

CCC4

log cutter, I was wondering what sharpening style you use...square or round? I have tried both in fire char and have received the same results...dull within a few trees. Do you guys chop off the fire char before you cut?

log cutter

A "dirty job". Was the timber purchased before the fire burned it?

No, this was the land owners retirement patch. The land owner figures he lost approx 3 million feet .
With all the brunt wood the sawmills have dropped the price by about a hundred dollars a thousand.
Right now the rush is on to get the pine out before it blues.

log cutter, I was wondering what sharpening style you use...square or round? I have tried both in fire char and have received the same results...dull within a few trees. Do you guys chop off the fire char before you cut?

CCC4, What I do is the same if its dirt or mud. Take the tip of the bar and make a strip  where I want to cut. I try not to drag the ash through the cut . With the strip opening up clean wood then cut so the chips are blowing away from the saw. Full wrap handle bars help. Even with that you still get plenty of "file a breaks". Pete 

Timbco 475E

beenthere

lc
You can use the "insert quote" tool (just to the left of the DEG and fractions and directly above the  :new_year: ) from the menu to dress up your reply... then we know what is quoted and your response... just FYI if interested..  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!