iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bears and electric fences

Started by Sprucegum, June 06, 2006, 02:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

And how long did your grandfather live eating those pies and cakes that weren't fit for human consumption?  ;D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Trust me, it was strictly bear food. Although if grandmother wasn't looking over him, God knows what he'd be eating. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Faron

I'd just love to see a bear tangle with an electric fence. ;D  It would be interesting to see if once was enough, or if he would have to try it again.  My first experience 40 years ago with an electric fence was with a bull trying to tear down a fence to get in with the feeder heifers.  We built a little short fence with a weed chopper charger and turned the bull back out.  He waded into the fence walking sideways and bellowing with his tongue hanging out.  It bit the heck out of him, and he backed off.  Pawed the ground a while, and waded back in just like before.  This time he really got it.  Before he got away, smoke was rolling off his skin, and we could smell burned hair.  He then decided he had pressing business elsewhere.   :D  From that day forward, all it took to buffalo that bull was to hold a shiny piece of wire in your hand.   ;D  With a piece of wire, you could make him go anywhere you wanted.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

Our friend Lou Kurtis, who lives on a chunk of Beeuuutiful land across from the cabin in da U.P. was having bears get on his covered deck/porch at night to get in the bird feeders they had hanging.  Lou got the idea of hanging a can of pepper spray out there smeared all over with peanut butter.  The first night they heard a yeooowwwwww GRRRRRRRR and a heck of a racket. The bear had hit the spray and was G O N E. For Good measure Lou put up another for the next evening.  Same scenario. YEOOOWWWW GRRRRRRR.  Lou Figured the Bear was going to Learn pretty quick now, so He hung out the third canister. Yep, that did the trick. That night peace and quiet.  They went out the next morning to find the canister still hanging and the peanut butter all licked off.  :)   

They cured the problem of Bears on the porches finally by taking down the bird feeders. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!