Kevin

Why did you stop, you were almost through?  :D

MULE_MAN

Whoa !!! That's a good one !!! I betcha your going to be a little paranoid
now !! And now your a Full member of the Band Saw Club  :D  :D  :D  ;D
!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Percy

Nanananananaaaaaa I was like you once, went several years without cuttin orange............and then one day, my head got deflated :D :D :D :D It was a relief actually, couldnt find a hat that fit....... :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bibbyman

I've only hacked into our 2002 mill "real good" one time.  I've had the turning arm up and ran the debarker into that a couple of times.

In all the years and hours Mary's been sawing,  I think she's nipped the paint off the top of one back suport one time. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Swede

Nice try, Jeff!  ;D

Next time get a Monkey blade. They have no problem going all the way thrue.  I KNOW it needs Ø 1" solid iron to stop them, even after they´ve been used in wood for half a day.  ;)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Gilman

Way to go Jeff,  8)
Now that you're broken in, you need to start working on your form.  I've been working on my soon-to-be copyrighted technique of my LCLDMSS

Large Crowd Long Distance Metal Strike Sprint  ;D

With the Sprint back to the controls you have tons of time to be creative and express your artistic skills.  ;D ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Quebecnewf

11 years of sawing. Struck mill post once. Struck long dog handle once. 2 strikes total. All strikes on first mill. No Strikes on second mill. We need replies that list the number of strikes. Three strikes your out. If you can't remember the number of strikes your WAY out

Cedarman

I put the initials of my sawyers on the log turner when they hit it. Been done twice now.  The uprights have been hit by every sawyer.  We have had several over the 8 years we have had the mill.  The worst is when they saw into the log clamp.  I tell them they will do it once, then they are paranoid and they very seldom hit metal twice.  It has been years since I nipped a dog.  Thought it would pass. Then you hear that tiny ting!!!! :o :o

This club is getting bigger all the time, join now, make new friends, welcome Jeff.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pappy

what ya mean twice ..  some of ya aint tellin the total truth .. cause I know I've hit them uprights alot more than just twice  ::)  ::)  ::)

Jeff ya should just finished it  :D  :D  :D cause next time .. (oh yes there will be a next time)..  you'll want that Dang dog to be shorter anyway  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Cedarman

I was just talking about the log turner. The log clamp has been hit enough to require welding, the back stops who knows, even the little clamp for small logs got hit several times.  I was right in there with the founding members in 1983 when I hit the log stop.  I was really upset, didn't think anyone could be that careless to hit a piece of metal plainly visible.  I can remember where the mill was sitting and the cedar log I was sawing. It was that traumatic.  But now I know everyone does it, even "da boss", so I feel a little better.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

This might be one of those urban legends but...

Years ago one of my Wood-Mizer tech support buddies told me the story about a guy that called into tech support because he'd saw just so far and the sawhead would bind up and make the awfulest sound and go no further – even if he pushed it.  They checked out every possible problem over the phone and he'd try again.  This went on for several calls and multiple attempts.  The guy called them back and told them he'd found the problem,  he had sawed into the manual clamp!  If you've not seen a manual clamp on an LT30/40 mill,  it's main vertical member is a solid bar about 1-1/2" in diameter!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Swede

:D :D :D :D :D :D *RATFLMAO*

Thank U Bibbyman!

Then I can tell you without too much shame................. One day I ruined TWO blades by hiting bearings at top of my poles!  8) Bet noone have done  better! ;D

That metal is hard even for a Monkey blade. Fits better for cirkular sawing after slipping over them bearings, all teeth is pointing upwards and just work upwards too!

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

pigman

I have been avoiding this topic.  I guess it is time I fess up. I am not a member of the " club". :(  I was told when I bought my mill 830 hrs ago that I  was not a serious sawyer untill I sawed into some part of the mill. I suppose I'm not much of a sawyer.  smiley_crying
Jeff gets a mill and before long he almost saws off a back support. That just shows that he is a lot better sawyer than I am. ;)  Maybe if I keep sawing , one day I can pay the dues and be allowed to join the club. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Pigman, it was inevitable for me to hit it as my sawing style has always been all out.  I'm already trying to figure out a way to get my durn up lift to go faster. That downright slows down even my thinkin.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gilman

Jeff,
Try feeding it lots of oil, grease and petrol, it might just grow into a Super for you. ;)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Norwiscutter

After watching that video of you running the big mill at work, I bet it must really seam like slow motion.  I can see where you lost your train of thought.... you porbably were thinking about the cuts in the logs down the line because you already had the one you were sawing figured out.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Jeff

:D  Really. My mind is usually 3 cuts into the log and I am still waiting for the head to come up so I can run it down and get ready to make the first cut.

Hitting the backstop was dumb. I was sawing a cedar that had been split in half. I put the split face up for the first cut, so the stops were actually under the curve of the log where I could not see them. Out of sight---Out of mind. :o
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

It doesn't matter whether you were paying attention or not. Sometimes, "stuff" happens.  ;) ;D ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dan_Shade

umm... I sawed into one of my backstops, then changed the band... then proceeded to saw into another one...

i'm good at sawing into metal! 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ernie

Out of sight---Out of mind??

I've been out of my mind for years and still have not had a cut like that.  But then, I just lay my logs on the ground and hack away, I'd hate to think of the damage I'd do with a band mill and all those stick up bits:D :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Corley5

I was watching a guy saw one time in Fla (hint) And on the very 1st cut of the afternoon with a freshly sharpened blade he hit the stop.  I won't mention any names though Harold  ;) ;D ;D :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

Now Greg, I TOLD ya I was giving ya the whole realm of how ya saw with a bandmill.  Thataway, when you took over, you wouldn't feel bad if you did it.  ::) ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!