iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old circle mill

Started by redbeard, April 07, 2013, 02:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Found a old circle mill in the woods while log shopping this morning. Everything turned and rolled very surprised considering how long its been sitting. The edger really caught my eye. Anybody tell the make of this mill. I plan to go back and further investigation.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

sawguy21

I am intrigued too. There must be hundreds of them abandoned in the bush, the job was done, the owner was broke and they cost more than scrap value to haul out. I enjoy poking around old mill sites.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

redbeard

Yeah the more iam thinking about this mill the more iam thinking it wasn't used a whole lot (low hrs.) Iam contacting the local old timers to get info about it. Belsaws and American Yates were common in this area. It did have K4 on the lever if that helps on ID.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

shelbycharger400

if i remember right , k4 , or m4   is usually a foundary marker,  sometimes means high nickel alloy.   

dennyking

Its a Belsaw.

Denny King....Washington state

loggah

Yup,Belsaw with Belsaw edger !!! ;D nice find.Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

redbeard

Puzzle is coming together the saw was moved from its original site. It was a mill set up on Penn cove  (anyone ever heard of or have eaten penn cove mussels) its the cove where there harvested. And the mill quit operation in later 50s they drug it up into woods where they hauled the saw dust. There was a fire in one of the houses that was on mill site it could have been why they folded. Mill was not harmed. I have one of the family members interested in possible resurrection of this mill. The condition of mill is good its possible. Where will you find belsaw markings?

captain_crunch

Be a Belsaw fer  sure and an old one judgeing by carrage dogs Tag on mine is on inside of frame at end where carrage stops at ofbearing end
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

It seems to be an older Belsaw,looks like babbit bearings on the arbor.Just about everything on the mill can be reproduced with common steel shapes.Seems to be in good shape from living in such a wet area,must of had a roof in its past life. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Solomon

I know a fellow about five hours away from me that has a Frick Mill he will sell me for Twenty Five hundred dollars.  It has not been run in about 30 years but it is under a roof and looks surprisingly clean.
What I initially believed to be a straight six motor at a glance, turned out to be an old Buick Straight Eight Fire Ball .
  I am thinking hard about it.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

WH_Conley

I about cried a couple of weeks ago when I found out a neighbor had hauled ) Frick for scrap. The little mill cut good. Brought $400.00.  :'(
Bill

Dave_

You probably won't find any markings on the mill except on the arbor collar.  The best way to age an old Belsaw is to look at the feedworks.  They changed out the drives throughout the years and you can usually window the time frame it was built.  You can look at some of the catalogs  at http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=86&tab=3 and compare feedworks.

Thank You Sponsors!