Forum > Sawmills and Milling

Live Oak -- wasting my time?

(1/10) > >>

wkf94025:
I was invited by my buddies at a local tree company to take some Live Oak (quercus agrifolia) this week.  I was excited when I saw the mass of the tree (4+ ft DBH), and the economics were hard to beat.  Today I hauled the first load an hour to my milling ops site, and the question is whether I should take a second (and third) lap tomorrow.  I rolled the scales today at 17,380#, so about 7,000# of Live Oak, and if I take two laps tomorrow, maybe another 16,000# in the milling queue.  I've read up a fair bit today on Live Oak, and have to say the reports aren't very encouraging.  I have a Lucas swing arm (carbide teeth with easy re-sharpening diamond wheel jig) and big slabber with multiple new chains on the shelf.  I also have solar kiln capacity for all of what I would mill.  Is this all a waste of time?  Firewood?

beenthere:

--- Quote ---Is this all a waste of time?
--- End quote ---

You did not say what you intend to use it for. 

What is your plan for the wood?

Walnut Beast:
Since its around a house it depends on how much metal you hit with the 💰carbide blades and long chains of the slabber 😳

Ianab:
At least you have the right mill for the job. Part of live oak's bad reputation is that it's hardness and density make it difficult to saw with a regular band saw. But it's pretty normal for many tropical / Australian species, hence the swing mills being popular in those areas. 

I've seen it used for things like bar tops and live edge coffee tables. I'm guessing cut a bit thicker to allow for some movement, and expect to use carbide tools to work it when dry.  

customsawyer:
I have cut lots of live oak. Most with my band mill and a few with the Lucas Slabber. It looks like what you had on that trailer load is limbs. Expect lots of stress in it. About the only thing you might be able to get out of the limbs is lowboy trailer decking. Cut it and bolt it down quick before it moves. Don't cut it until you have the trailer or the buyer ready. It is awesome for trailers due to the rot resistance. When you get down to the main trunk that will be where your better quality lumber will come from. I have made regular 4/4 lumber to slabs out of it and everything between. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap