Forum > Ask The Forester

Mixing Glyphosate

(1/7) > >>

Treeflea24:
I am mixing Glyphosate for backpack sprayer foliar treatment of honeysuckle. Im trying to follow the instructions and I have a question for the foresters:

The product literature says "Alderberry, Dewberry, Honeysuckle, Post oak, Raspberry — For control, apply 3 to 4 quarts per acre of this product as a broadcast spray or as a 1 to 1.5% solution with handheld equipment."

The product is "Drexel Imitator Plus" and it is 41% gylyphosate.

When mixing, should I aim for 1-1.5% of the contents of the product? (1.3-1.9 floz/gallon)
OR should I shoot for 1-1.5% of the active ingredient glyphosate? (3.1-4.7 floz/gallon)

its a difference of more than 2:1 depending on which method I should be following, and as I read it the instructions could be interpreted either way.
Thanks for any guidance.

wisconsitom:
2-3 oz.of product per gal. of water should do.

For any and all glyph. 41 percent A.I. formulations, I actually always shot for 2.5 fl. oz. of product per gallon of water.  This will work across a very wide range of target species, as it has for 40 or so years on my end.  Good luck, non-native invasive honeysuckle is a tough customer.

Nothing good in the understory, that you're able to foliar spray?

WDH:
I agree with Tom.  It is the % of the herbicide liquid in the container, not based on the active ingredient.  I also mix at 2.5% to 3% as a broad range mix.

kantuckid:
Honeysuckle historical sidenote: I just finished reading a civil war novel that's often historically correct. It contained a comment on honeysuckle that left a lingering thought in my small brain towards the question of if there was even any honeysuckle here in the mid 1800's? I just googled the question and the topmost response said it was the early 1900's. Then right below it says Japanese honeysuckle came in 1806?
I have lots of the vine and the shrub version is now showing up on property edges. 
So far, I don't spray in the woods here. 

wisconsitom:
Kantuckid, there's native honeysuckles too, as well as these invaders.

On a general note, foliar spraying is fast and relatively easy-for the first ten hours, anyway💪, but often there are desirable plant species present that would be hit by the spray stream.  That's when cut-stump and/or basal bark applications become useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap