iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood wouldnt accept my order...wow

Started by Hemlock121, September 21, 2022, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlock121

Hi guys,

As many of you may know, my place was hammered in May by a tornado.  I lost 99% of my shoreline trees that included 25-30" red/white pines, eastern white cedars etc.  My place is boat access only so I thought it would be great to mill the logs into lumber for projects instead of of cutting the logs into cookies and disposing them in the back woods.

I decided on a Norwood LM30 and went to place my order.  I live in Arizona and have a cottage in Ontario close to Norwood's headquarters so when I called to place the order, I requested they remove the shipping fee and said my brother with a different last name, but same address would pick up my mill late October.  The salesman said he would not accept my credit card and would not allow someone other than myself to pick up the mill.  Company policy.  I then asked to speak with a manager to see if I could resolve this issue which would save me over $500 and the salesman refused.  I then called back and asked to speak with a manager, and now 4 days later, no response.  Its beyond me that they had a sale of over $10k with someone ready to pay in full and they cannot even return a call.  Wow... 

Well.. Does anyone have recommendations for another mill with a different company?  I need the mill to be delivered in parts so I can transport it to the cottage on my 20' pontoon boat. I called Woodland Mills but they said their head stock is are already assembled which might make it too heavy for one person to move.

Frustrated...

Southside

With all the fraud these days had you called me with a $10K order and proposed that I think I would have told you the same thing. That's an instant CC reversal if the card holder claimed it was fraud and they are out a mill.

I had a guy come to my place, sign a release, buy $250 worth of turf, had to key in the card because it would not swipe. Five months later I get a dispute on the transaction, guy claims he has no knowledge of the event. I produced texts from him making arrangements to come, signed release, he got his money back and I got stiffed. Now I don't key enter cards, if it won't swipe, get another card or no sale. You only get burned once to learn.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Hemlock
From your description of what you were asking, think I would be suspicious too. 
Brother with a different last name?  Is that the reason they would not take your credit card, or do they not accept any credit cards? 
Maybe ask your brother to purchase the mill, assuming he is near the headquarters in Can. where the mill could be picked up. Then you just arrange to get it from your brother with the different last name. Might that work? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Guido Salvage

As someone who spent 35 years in the credit and collection industry (including 5 years fighting fighting credit card at a major retailer) the transaction you describe would have raised issues with me as well. If you are not satisfied with their customer service you may want to take that as an omen and look elsewhere.

YellowHammer

Quote from: beenthere on September 21, 2022, 06:55:29 PMMaybe ask your brother to purchase the mill, assuming he is near the headquarters in Can. where the mill could be picked up. Then you just arrange to get it from your brother with the different last name. Might that work?

Sounds like a good solution....
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: Hemlock121 on September 21, 2022, 06:26:47 PMI need the mill to be delivered in parts so I can transport it to the cottage on my 20' pontoon boat. I called Woodland Mills but they said their head stock is are already assembled which might make it too heavy for one person to move.

Frustrated...

Some of the lower end models from Hud-Son are shipped in pieces for you to assemble. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

charles mann

I would agree with others as well as norwood. I had a similar incident where a guy a fb group was seeking a helicopter mech for his friend in houston. He put me in contact with the acft "owner", we chatted, gave him some contacts for several flt instructors in his area and discussed the maint and upgrades he wanted. I sent him a quote for the work to include labor and parts, which had to be ordered, as i dont stock the parts he wanted and didnt even try to mark up the parts, and had to order a few parts i was suppose to have in stock, but my bin was empty (business partner used the parts on his acft and forgot to reorder and update the parts list). I provided web links and part numbers for the parts, told him to order them, once they were dilivered, we would schedule a date to do the maint. He said he ordered the parts he wanted, which then i told him i rcvd the restock of parts. A few days later, he called and told me that he forgot to order his parts and asked if i would order them and have then shipped nxt day and he would pay the additional shipping cost and a "bonus" if i could do the work the day the parts arrive. At that moment, i smelled a fish and walked away, warned the flt instructor of the shady interaction and to warn other flt instructors they knew, that were in the area. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

stavebuyer

Take the CC company out of the equation and pay by wire transfer.

kantuckid

In todays world of remote workers I would not get too up the air over a missed phone call especially if it's a smallish company. Sounds like they thought the deal was stuck on the details? 
Also, people go on vacation, get sick, have a family thing, loose a msg, etc.. 

The wire transfer has made sense for larger amounts for many years now, not a recent thing. When I was still buying wrecked cars in around the $10k to $15k range it was how you paid remotely, even to companies who knew you. Back then it cost around $25 bucks and I had a rejection potential when I was doing the haul job myself on a non-auction car.

Brother buys it "for you" seems real simple unless it creates a warranty issue in his name, etc.. Lots of unscrupulous people out there causing the rest of us a hassle.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

bigblockyeti

They might just be backed up to the point where the risk they're willing to accept is far below normal?  I've been dealing with the local Ford dealership about ordering a Super Duty the way I want it and they can't even start to process orders (so I'm told) until October maybe.  Even if I go in there and plunk down $90K they can't or won't play ball.

terrifictimbersllc

a suggestion...

I would think you could purchase this sawmill from afar, and then prepare a letter stating that you personally appeared before a notary public which authorizesyour brother, copy of his drivers license on the letter, to pick up the sawmill on your behalf. The notary could sign this and put her stamp and commission info on it.

You might ask Norwood if they would accept that.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kantuckid

People act as proxies for others via a document everyday, all day long to do parental stuff or buy stuff. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

dogbo2013

I agree with Norwood. Although it all seems normal in your mind, it sounds like an offshore scam to me. I would plan on making the trip to complete the purchase and pick up the mill. I would still buy a Norwood.
GMB

Patrick NC

Since the OP hasn't responded, I'm going to say that he realizes his error. Maybe he should try a different approach and report back.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Daburner87

Agree with the others, call them and mention bank wire transfer.  I had to do that for Woodland Mills.  They refused my CC.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Hemlock121

Good morning everyone,

Ive been off line for the last week so wanted to thank everyone for their perspective.  There were points of view that I hadn't considered and when I read your view points, I was able to revisit my order with Norwood.

I must say, after Norwood understood my request and confirmed my purchasing ability, the entire team worked diligently to help me purchase my mill.  What I didn't understand is that there have been unsavory characters who have purchased sawmills with credit cards over the phone, picked up their mills and then disputed the charge that left Norwood without their $40k mill and without payment.  If someone uses their card in person where the machine can verify the chip, then the credit card company cannot take funds directly out of Norwood's account.

As many suggested, I wired payment and provided identification so that my brother can pick up my mill.  Norwood really bent over backwards and corresponded with me multiple times a day and I must say, they took great care of me. My unique situation has caused Norwood to review their ordering processes for future customers which I hope will benefit members of this forum.

Norwood is a great company that I highly recommend.

bigblockyeti

Glad it worked out for you, I was heavily considering an almost new Norwood LumberPro HD36 for $4500 three years ago.  I really wish I had gotten it now.  

Unfortunately there are unsavory people in all walks of life that play games with CC companies to get what they do not deserve.  I fully understand Norwood's position but they need to have a safe avenue for themselves and customers alike to order what they need and pick it up in whatever manner works best.

customsawyer

Glad it worked out for you. This is why I have a separate account for taking CC and wire transfers. Once the funds land in that account they are transferred to my regular business account. Them shady folks can't get what isn't there.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

cutterboy

I am happy to see that things worked out and that you are happy with Norwood. I bought a Lumbermate2000 in 2001 and have been dealing with Norwood for 20 years and have always been happy with them.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!