The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Started by upnut, November 10, 2022, 08:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

On this date in 1975 the Edmund Fitzgerald sank with no survivors.....

Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (Official Audio) - YouTube

Visit the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point north of Paradise if you ever get the chance.

Scott B.

Here's a link:Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Jeff

I was volunteering one time many years ago over on Lime Island, and was looking at the daily log book from the superintendent's residence they kept for the Islands boat. It was almost haunting to see the notations on the storm, and that there was a freighter missing
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

The Edmond Fitzgerald would have passed within earshot of its engines on a calm night, here at the cabin.

Edmund Fitzgerald Soo Locks 1967 - YouTube

Sedgehammer

Necessity is the engine of drive

Resonator

I was born in '75, so I always know how many years ago the Fitzgerald sank. ;D
Grew up listening to Lightfoot, and we always played the song while traveling along the Superior shoreline on the way to Canada. In Duluth MN, a similar boat the SS William A Irvin is permanently moored as a floating museum. We took the tour of it years ago, neat to see if you want to know what the old ore boats were like.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sawguy21

I hate to be a spoilsport, that was a real tragedy and as much as I like Lightfoot, but that song grinds my gears. It was overplayed like many others, I got sick of it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fluidpowerpro

I remember the night it sank. I grew up about 150 miles south of Duluth and I remember laying in bed that night with the wind blowing so hard it was rattling the windows in my bedroom. Woke up the next morning to the news that a ship was missing and the search was underway.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Breezybrzez

Darn spooky tune! I second the recommendation to check out the Whitefish Museum. My wife and I were up there on our first anniversary and made a day out of a boat tour of the locks at Saul saint Marie and got to see a modern ship pass thru the locks as well before we headed to museum at Whitefish. Just a very cool area up there.

rusticretreater

Divers recovered the bell from the ship and its on display at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Point Michigan.   They have a ceremony every year on Nov 10 named "Call for the Last Watch" and they ring the bell 29 times for each lost member of the crew plus once more for all sailors lost in the Great Lakes.

In a really amazing series of events, the ship ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.  A hurricane whipped the waves that night and after a few hours the lake released the pent up energy stored in the roiling waves.  Large waves formed and ended up swamping the boat.  One boat even reported seeing the waves go by.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

B.C.C. Lapp

Not to take away from the real and tragic event but as for the song these guys do a pretty good take on it.   Sorry sawguy21 you should give this version a listen just once.
Punch Brothers cover Gordon Lightfoot "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" 3/3/22 Boston, MA - YouTube
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

firefighter ontheside

A sad story for sure, but I do like the song.  It's a good telling of the story in song.  I like a lot of Lightfoot's stuff, like the Pony Man.  I've never been out on Superior, but I've been along the north shore during all seasons and I wouldn't want to be out there when shes angry on a cold day.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

A year ago june, I was 50 miles out. I didn't like it.

B.C.C. Lapp

My son and I went fishing out on a charter boat on lake Erie once.  We caught a cooler full of perch and some walleye. I lost my breakfast in the first hour.   For me, not worth it. Guess I'm no sailor. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Jeff

upnut

My other go to website is here:Fast from the U.P. - Pasty.NET

They quite often have videos posted on "Todays Pasty Cam" by amateur photographers showing the fury of Lake Superior smashing ashore, it can be quite breathtaking.

Scott B.

Jeff

NOT the video I set out to make tonight, to show you some clips where the Edmond Fitzgerald would have passed on trips. :D

Is Black Sabath "Dear Father" Playing From Church Bells Over Detour Harbor???? - YouTube

samandothers

We had to do a speech to our school in high school for our Sr year English.  It was 1977, I did one on the Edmund Fitzgerald.  I played the song while folks were entering the auditorium.  As I recall at the time the thought was it took on water and may have broken between waves or foundered.  It is sad and eerie to think of going down on a ship in such conditions.

Jeff

As near as I can figure on this, youtube uses a system to match exact digital signatures in order to identify songs, even background music, for copyright violations. The church bells must be a digital recording, and it must be the same source as the bells that were used in the Black Sabbath song, and my video captured and identified that match.  The very ironic and frankly disturbing part is, is the subject matter of song. Google the lyrics for Black Sabboth's Dear Father. Disturbing.

All I know is, it seems the devil is in the details so to speak.

Ron Scott

I'm a history buff of the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking and was involved in the raising of her bell which is in the Whitefish Point Museum. I've also been involved in the building of the Museum and diving with the Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society back in the early 1980's. I was asked to attend the bell ringing ceremony this past November 10th at the Museum to ring the bell for one of the lost 29 seamen, but I was unable to attend.
~Ron

Southside

Ron, I would like to hear more about your diving if you want to share it.  Never dove in nice water, keep saying one of these days I will.  Not that I expect Superior to be "nice" water.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TN King

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on November 11, 2022, 08:30:41 AM
Not to take away from the real and tragic event but as for the song these guys do a pretty good take on it.   Sorry sawguy21 you should give this version a listen just once.
Punch Brothers cover Gordon Lightfoot "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" 3/3/22 Boston, MA - YouTube
Chris Thile is a Mandolin virtuoso. He's picking a $200,000.00+ Gibson Lloyd Loar. 
Chris Thile - Bach: Sonata No. 1 in G Minor, BWV 1001 (Complete) - YouTube
Adagio — 00:07
Fuga — 04:26
Siciliana — 08:44
Presto — 11:48   :)

I like his lighthouse tale performance with Nickel Creek.
Nickel Creek - The Lighthouse's Tale - YouTube

Timberking 2020 - Mahindra 3550PST - Titan implements -
1840's two story log home - 50x60 log pole barn with 6 stalls - Trout pond - Hardwood timber stands - fruit trees - natural springs and lots of wildlife.

upnut

Resonator

QuoteChris Thile is a Mandolin virtuoso. He's picking a $200,000.00+ Gibson Lloyd Loar.
Keep in mind he is playing at the TOP level of skill and professional performance, and as a musician you want the best sounding instrument you can get. Both as an extension of you're hands, but also as the art you create, which is the legacy you're known by for your lifetime.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

I have enjoyed listening to your art, my friend.  smiley_guitarist
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TN King

Quote from: Resonator on November 13, 2022, 11:57:12 AM
QuoteChris Thile is a Mandolin virtuoso. He's picking a $200,000.00+ Gibson Lloyd Loar.
Keep in mind he is playing at the TOP level of skill and professional performance, and as a musician you want the best sounding instrument you can get. Both as an extension of you're hands, but also as the art you create, which is the legacy you're known by for your lifetime.
At that level of skill the instrument quality is insignificant. 
We like Sitka spruce tops and Mahogany backs for our Mandolins and Octave Mandolins.
Although, not so much for the fiddles. Usually Tiger Maple back and sides. All with seasoned American wood.
Timberking 2020 - Mahindra 3550PST - Titan implements -
1840's two story log home - 50x60 log pole barn with 6 stalls - Trout pond - Hardwood timber stands - fruit trees - natural springs and lots of wildlife.