Forum > General Woodworking

Harbor Frieght dust collector upgrade ideas?

(1/6) > >>

azmtnman:
   I have the Harbor Frieght 2HP dust collector for my Powermatic 209. It has a 55 gallon trash bag (the original one was clear) for the bin. Arizona sun + wind = didn't last long. I went to heavier mil bags but they're black and it's hard to tell when it's getting full. Also, they fill up every 200 or so bdft.
  I have thought about using a 55 gal drum but can't think of a good way to attach it to the barrel lid (a removable lid, of course.)
   Anybody got design you use or an idea?

customsawyer:
I have 2 of these dust collectors. I have tried the clear 55 gallon trash bags but they are to big. Will try some smaller ones one day but haven't yet.

firefighter ontheside:
I used to have my HF dust collector sitting on top of a 55 gallon drum.  I made a lid that was attached sort of permanently to the original separator part of the DC.  I made the lid with MDF and had it hinged on the wall and then it would sit down on the drum.  When I wanted to empty it I could lift it up and had a hook made to hold it up so that I could roll the drum out.  There was a rubber seal to seal the dc to the drum.  It worked well and the rest of the air would exhaust outside thru a dryer vent.  I finally got rid of the drum and just exhausted dust and all outside onto the ground behind my shop.  I scoop it up when the pile gets too big.  I may still have the lid and can take a picture of it tomorrow.

peakbagger:
Are you using a two stage dust collector setup?. Something like this? WOODTEK<SUP></SUP> TWO STAGE DUST COLLECTION TRASH CAN LID | Woodworker's Supply Not that hard to build your own. The amount of carryover to the actual collector is pretty minimal except when the barrel is full (which is quite noticeable when the barrel fills up) . I can fill several barrels before I even need to think about emptying the collector. 

69bronco:

--- Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 27, 2022, 12:28:34 AM ---I used to have my HF dust collector sitting on top of a 55 gallon drum.  I made a lid that was attached sort of permanently to the original separator part of the DC.  I made the lid with MDF and had it hinged on the wall and then it would sit down on the drum.  When I wanted to empty it I could lift it up and had a hook made to hold it up so that I could roll the drum out.  There was a rubber seal to seal the dc to the drum.  It worked well and the rest of the air would exhaust outside thru a dryer vent.  I finally got rid of the drum and just exhausted dust and all outside onto the ground behind my shop.  I scoop it up when the pile gets too big.  I may still have the lid and can take a picture of it tomorrow.

--- End quote ---
ffots, been thinking of doing same (exhaust through wall). Seems like performance would increase some? How do you keep critters/cold out? Waste gate, louver vent?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap