Jackets for the south east

Started by fordw60s, January 23, 2023, 05:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fordw60s

Hi all, Just looking to get some input as to some of the more durable jackets that others use while cruising timber and other forestry related tasks. Sites are in the East Texas areas so Pine stands with blackberry, green briar and the occasional devils walking stick. Mild winters for the most part so looking for some thing light weight with good flexibility, water proof/resistant for the down pours that I'd get caught in.

I know of the typical Carhart, Walls, Dickies and higher prices wax cotton jackets, etc. but just looking to see if anyone had any other input of what to look at. I don't normally try other things so I figured I'd branch out to see what else is out there. 

Thank for any input.

wisconsitom

You already know Dickies, yet I must say, from your description of intended use, conditions, etc. their "Eisenhower" jacket would seem very close to what you're looking for.

I wouldn't call these waterproof, but highly water-resistant.  Good at not picking up beggar ticks and other assorted gnarly weed seeds.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

stavebuyer

I always wore layers with my vest as the outer layer. T shirt in summer and various weights of long underwear and wind/water repellent under amour type layers in the winter. Fingers were always the hardest as the handheld required dexterity. Too cold for the handheld and those were the days to deal with maps/titles/ and deeds.

btulloh

You might want to look in the hunting apparel department. There's a lot of good stuff there for briars and thickets.  Rabbit hunting is best done with with sturdy briar proof outerwear for instance. Hunting upland birds usually calls for briar pants. Plus there's plenty of good layer choices in the hunting department. Just a thought . . .

Or you good always go to the tactical gear - kevlar, armor plates and such. lol

(I think devils walking stick can defeat anything up to 2" armor plate, so gear up!) 
HM126

fordw60s

Quote from: wisconsitom on January 23, 2023, 05:58:29 PM
You already know Dickies, yet I must say, from your description of intended use, conditions, etc. their "Eisenhower" jacket would seem very close to what you're looking for.

I wouldn't call these waterproof, but highly water-resistant.  Good at not picking up beggar ticks and other assorted gnarly weed seeds.
I'll look into it. Most that I have been familiar with are the ones at boot barn, cavenders, tractor supply so I didn't know what else was out there. 
For me usually it isn't always hard in the woods but for those times of quick walk through in cold rainy days. 
Thank you. 

fordw60s

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 23, 2023, 06:31:09 PM
I always wore layers with my vest as the outer layer. T shirt in summer and various weights of long underwear and wind/water repellent under amour type layers in the winter. Fingers were always the hardest as the handheld required dexterity. Too cold for the handheld and those were the days to deal with maps/titles/ and deeds.
For me it is for more of look throughs etc. When I'm actually crusing I usually just wear a t-shirt or thin long-sleeved shirt because even in 20 to 30 degree weather I'll sweat like a pig. Lol 
Worst I ever had was when working FIA in the swamps of Louisiana and 40 deg weather having to swim log pulls to get to sub plots and tree heights. I never wore waders just had jeans and jungle boots to cruise. 

fordw60s

Quote from: btulloh on January 23, 2023, 06:52:43 PM
You might want to look in the hunting apparel department. There's a lot of good stuff there for briars and thickets.  Rabbit hunting is best done with with sturdy briar proof outerwear for instance. Hunting upland birds usually calls for briar pants. Plus there's plenty of good layer choices in the hunting department. Just a thought . . .

Or you good always go to the tactical gear - kevlar, armor plates and such. lol

(I think devils walking stick can defeat anything up to 2" armor plate, so gear up!)
I've looked at a few just the usual of not getting to actually see them. Always have a hard time finding the tok thick ones. 
Worst briar's I ever had was an acre plot of trifolate orange that I worked by my self. It sucked. 

fordw60s

wisconsitom

I do think that that is what I am looking for. I remember those being very comfortable while doing mechanic work. 

Thank you

stavebuyer

I used to often wear snake chaps for brush and briars. They work great for briars as well shedding water. Summer time I would dump them as they got so hot I would loose my fear of stepping on a snake until I had a close call. Then repeat the cycle LOL

fordw60s

Blessingly I have not had much of an issue with the snakes while here in Texas and didn't have much in Louisiana either but usually I was able to scare them off with my cruising stick. lol  Only had a couple of fights with cotton mouths. lol

As far as the pants I have had good luck with Wildass jeans and now been using the wrangler rigged jeans and they have been good for briars. Most jackets I find that I like get torn up by the briars quickly. This is my usual attire. 

Texas Ranger

If I needed a jacket, it was an army field jacket bought surplus.  Jeans for britches and very seldom wore snake leggings and have killed 5-foot rattlers with a cruise sticks.  In southeast Texas where I live and worked usually just a T-shirt and cruisers vest.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

fordw60s

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 24, 2023, 08:57:25 AM
If I needed a jacket, it was an army field jacket bought surplus.  Jeans for britches and very seldom wore snake leggings and have killed 5-foot rattlers with a cruise sticks.  In southeast Texas where I live and worked usually just a T-shirt and cruisers vest.
I'm actually not far from you. I'm in the Woodville Area. 

Otis1

I have no suggestions for jackets since I'm from the frozen north.  

You're nuts doing FIA plots in that. Looks like my worst nightmare, they're hard enough in our cedar swamps up here.

fordw60s

Quote from: Otis1 on January 24, 2023, 07:12:39 PM
I have no suggestions for jackets since I'm from the frozen north.  

You're nuts doing FIA plots in that. Looks like my worst nightmare, they're hard enough in our cedar swamps up here.
Wasn't too bad overall but made it for 6 years doing it all over Louisiana. I do miss it at times but not the 2 mile walks on floating vegetation. Lol 

Texas Ranger

Quote from: fordw60s on January 24, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
If I needed a jacket, it was an army field jacket bought surplus.  Jeans for britches and very seldom wore snake leggings and have killed 5-foot rattlers with a cruise sticks.  In southeast Texas where I live and worked usually just a T-shirt and cruisers vest.
You with an agency or company?  Woodville TFS was my entry into Texas in 1967.  If your cruising plantations heavy britches and snake leggings may be advisable.

fordw60s

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 24, 2023, 10:09:23 PM
Quote from: fordw60s on January 24, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
You with an agency or company?  Woodville TFS was my entry into Texas in 1967.  If your cruising plantations heavy britches and snake leggings may be advisable.
USFS in Zavalla, Silviculture program manager currently. 

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the FF, and the area your working is a forester home.

fordw60s

Yes definitely is, I've been here since 2016 and have been enjoying it.