OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Thanks!  We had fun making it :D
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Resonator

That tattoo is a nice touch.  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

I can't see his boots or NCO sword. Maybe they are on the side. :D

Maybe a dripping fire extinguisher in a yellow puddle in the background ... 

Chevrons on the shoulder and hash marks on the foreleg? A holstered .45 around his hips?

Could be getting a little busy on us. ;)

Where do I buy one? ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Perhaps that might have to be considered!  All great ideas though we just tried to keep it simple but I love the rank idea!  and the rest really.

Not sure i can share the store here?  Could violate policy for selling on the site but the link is in my latest video now as well as on my main page and FB....if I can share here I will but this video has it in the description now:
Morning Chat with The Old Jarhead - YouTube

WV Sawmiller

Other options might include a campaign cover instead of the utility cover. The Fire Extinguisher might have the letters USN painted vertically on it (but we might not want  to offend those guys too much - we might need a ride somewhere). :D There are plenty of politicians names you could put on it but that might get this thread moved to the woodshed so we better forego that option.  ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

I thought about the campaign cover as well but decided on this one since it's basically what I wear when milling unless it's really sunny out (then the Tilly Hat comes out to save my darn ears! lol).

It was fun getting it made (took a while actually) and I hope to get it on some decent covers.

bigblockyeti

I really like the rig you've put together to head into the woods and that's one of the mills at the top of my list to order when I'll have time to use it.  I asked around to see if anyone has hauled anything on the bed of their mill, specifically the LT40, while on the road and I got a lot of
opinions and a little experience  related to actually doing this, have you and if so, how much weight?

doc henderson

Well BB it is everyone's opinion that is not a good idea to push the limits of a now $53,000.00 mill, and therefore our experience is limited.  :)  mine has a 5 K axle.  One could imply that you could go to 5k.  but even the carriage has a spot just in front of the axle.  My mill is 31 feet long, so any boards or cants I have carried have been "reasonable".  TKs official reply to that question is not a good idea, and if you do it, do not get carried away.  We do not want to contribute to a catastrophic failure on the road.   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 13, 2022, 05:16:48 PM
I really like the rig you've put together to head into the woods and that's one of the mills at the top of my list to order when I'll have time to use it.  I asked around to see if anyone has hauled anything on the bed of their mill, specifically the LT40, while on the road and I got a lot of
opinions and a little experience  related to actually doing this, have you and if so, how much weight?
Likely the "opinions" are mostly from smart people able to think through what the limits are of the equipment. If someone tries this, then the "experience" will likely be in the "Did something dumb today" thread.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OlJarhead

I have hauled my mill loaded with roughly 200 lbs of gear plus up to 12 gallons of fuel for thousands of miles ;)

I get it, yes the axle is rated at a certain amount and the tires are rated just above the supposed mill weight;) but I've abused it for thousands of miles and it seems to take it in strides :D

You can kinda see here a little.  There is a basket on the front (removable) with a chainsaw, action packer of fluids and tools, box of wood shims and a 2.5galk fuel can.  On the back is another removable basket with a 6 gal can of fuel as well.

I try to keep the weight down as much as possible but did weigh it once at 4000lbs!  That's over the cap by a fair bit so since have tried to reduce it to one chainsaw not two, no cant hooks etc and limit it down as close to 3700lbs which is the tire capacity as much as I can but on long trips of a few jobs in a row it's hard to keep the weight off of it.

Only issue so far is a tire blew out at 70 on the interstate and ruined a fender!  Cost me a new set of tires but that was 6 years of towing the mill all over the Northwest!  I've towed it repeatedly 260+ miles (one way) to our cabin though not with gear on it and 750 miles round trip loaded with gear in just one stretch!  Literally thousands of miles like that -- maybe 10k probably more.

I am a believer in the Wood Mizer LT40's ability to take the beating I've given it :D

OlJarhead

Here's a short from the tire blow out
This is what happens when you get off-fendered #Shorts - YouTube

and a look at the setup on the road to a jobsite:
Camped out for the night before our next milling gig! #shorts - YouTube
In this one the tire is on the back but that threw off the balance a little so I moved it back up front where it normally is.  I was just trying to see what it would do towing and it made the tongue a little light I think.

OlJarhead

Quote from: beenthere on September 13, 2022, 06:18:15 PM
Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 13, 2022, 05:16:48 PM
I really like the rig you've put together to head into the woods and that's one of the mills at the top of my list to order when I'll have time to use it.  I asked around to see if anyone has hauled anything on the bed of their mill, specifically the LT40, while on the road and I got a lot of
opinions and a little experience  related to actually doing this, have you and if so, how much weight?
Likely the "opinions" are mostly from smart people able to think through what the limits are of the equipment. If someone tries this, then the "experience" will likely be in the "Did something dumb today" thread.  :D
I guess I'm a dumb jarhead ;)
Seriously though, I've had no issues (I think the tire was going to go anyway actually though the added weight didn't help nor that it was too small -- long story there)....

OlJarhead

ABSOLUTE INSANITY - Sawmill Edition! [Wood Mizer LT40 in Action] - YouTube
Yeehaw!

HT to MagicMan in this one!

Honestly, I wasn't planning on milling this crazy crotch up!  I just thought it would be too much trouble but the customer wanted it done and so we loaded it up!  And while the video is relatively short the truth is it took me a LOT longer to get it milled up!  I think it took me 45 minutes to yield 211bf of slabs (a little more but I counted them all as 22"x3"x66" but in truth some were 26" wide!

Cheers

fluidpowerpro

Great video.
I know many times when fighting with a log that wont turn, I've been guilty of spending too much time trying to do it all with my turners. 
Sometimes its just better to grab the cant hook right away and use it, along with the turner, to get it where you want it.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

Thanks!  It was a fun one to make but took me a LOT longer than I'd allotted LOL

Still fun video..the log?  Not so much! ha!  And how about that girl? LOL she was a trooper!

fluidpowerpro

Not a bad choice for the cover shot on your video! I'm sure that cant hurt to get peoples attention. It did mine!
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

LOL I guess I couldn't help it!  She was working so hard!

Magicman

Sometime you can put 2X6's under the cant and slide it over the little stops and gain some width.  The cant weight should hold it in place.  Just remember that it is now 1½" above the scale.

When I move logs using the side supports I use a Magic Hook.

I see 4 hydraulic side supports in your future.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

I hook my magic hook in the end like Lynn shows and use the side supports to move the log forward or back as needed.

Another trick I learned on a similar sized and shape walnut last year was to use the loader arms to raise or at least hold the short, odd shaped log when the clamp and claw were not enough to turn it.  I'd put a 3'-4' board between the log/cant and the arms and raise to turn it. Sometimes I would do that just enough to take the weight off the clamp or claw then lower and reposition the clamp or claw and start again. Normally we just use the loading arms to load the log but remember you can use them to hold or help turn a big ugly log in a pinch.

Looked like a hard working young lady. I love to see women work. I could watch them all day. :D
Howard Green

OlJarhead

MM I have a magic hook now but haven't installed it on the chain yet lol

OlJarhead

That loader trick could help, sane as the 2xs.  That thing was a beast!

Magicman

I split the eye, inserted a ring, and then welded the eye back.  I have a slip hook on one end of my chains and a grab hook on the other.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I just bought a cheap cant hook at a flea market, took the hook off and put it on a 3' length of 1/4" chain with a hook on the other end. I carry 2- 6' long 1/4" chains with hooks on both ends in case I need the extra length.

Having 2 like Lynn does is great as you can lift and such while I can only pull from one end or roll a big one over.
Howard Green

OlJarhead

I need to get mine done! lol  Maybe now that I have more time I will.  Had to wait for my hands to recover a little from a trip to the cabin to get the tractor back....seems putting on the binders was too much for my arthritic hands.

Meanwhile, I broke the rules here ;)  I know!  It wasn't the plan though...
Breaking Rules; Making Lumber! Wood Mizer LT40 in Action! - YouTube

Magicman

That is one reason that I prefer for the customer to be on the site when the sawing is done.  That way if changes need to be made, on the fly, to the cutlist, those decisions are easily made.

Thank You Sponsors!