iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest Management, EAB and other???

Started by Ed, May 01, 2008, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

What effect does the loss of a species (White Ash) have in the management of a woodlot? I need to start dealing with this issue.
In my case there are some areas of the woods that will be losing 40% of the standing timber.
How do you deal with it? What species to replant?
The problem is made worse for me since much of my woods floods and will stay that way for 6 months, making replanting difficult.
The property is 100 acres, 35 tillable. There are no marsh areas (cattails), the areas that hold water are heavy clay with sandy ridges for high ground.

Current "large" trees are:
White Oak, Swamp White Oak, Red Oak, Hickory, Soft Maple, Sassafras, White Ash, Aspen and a few American Elm & Black Walnut.
Understory trees include Ironwood, Serviceberry and Prickly Ash.

Right now I would say the young growth trees are Hickory, Swamp White Oak and to a lesser extent White Oak.

The only trees I've been planting are Red Cedar in some of open areas near the edges of the fields.

The property was last logged (highgraded) in 1994. I doubt if it could be re-harvested today. Managment for commercial logging isn't my intent, I would just like a healthy woodlot where I can harvest few trees now and then for my own personal use.

Ed

Riles

The first question asked should always be "What are your objectives for the land?" If all you want is a healthy woodlot and an occasional log, I'd say you're in good shape. Set up a plan for TSI cuts and let the regeneration take care of itself. Diversity already looks good, and the wildlife should be happy, unless you have something in particular in mind.

Are you losing your ash to the EAB now or are you looking to preempt things?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Ed

Thanks Riles.

Ash are currently being lost to EAB. Once you see the woodpeckers are pecking the bark off the tree..........it's game over.
This won't be anything like Dutch Elm disease, which is still dragging on years later. In 5 years I'll bet there won't be any Ash left in mid-michigan. Myself, I think the infestation is much worse than anyone realizes.

Ed

SeeSaw

Ed,

I agree with you 100%.  I think it's way worse than it's made out to be as well.  I'm in S.E. Michigan, (where I live) and I've lost every ash tree in my backyard, about 18 of them. I also have 40 acres in the thumb area with many ash trees there as well.  Supposedly, (last I knew anyway) the EAB has not made it into the thumb area.  I reckon it's just a matter of time though and I will be dealing with it there too.  Most of the timber that I've gotten from other folks in the last 3 years has been ash killed by the EAB. On the one hand I've gotten a lot of nice timber, but on the other hand it makes me ill to see all the ash trees gone.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Dodgy Loner

In general, I agree with Riles, although it's hard to make specific recommendations without seeing the forest.  If you have species that you consider desirable that are already regenerating, you're likely better off doing what you can to promote their growth than you are bringing in other trees.  Removing the poorly formed and undesirable species to make room for better, healthier specimens to grow will pay off in the long run.  This is known as TSI (timber stand improvement).  One problem you may run into when trying to do a TSI harvest is getting the density too low, since the property was recently high-graded.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ron Scott

Ditto! to the above comments. The ecosystem situatiion as you decribe it sounds like its best to let nature take its course. Accept any natural regeneration that you get and continue timber stand improvement (TSI) efforts along the way.

Ed, why not get the local conservation district forester to take a look at it for some further advice if any, if you haven't already.
~Ron

estiers

Quote from: SeeSaw on May 02, 2008, 12:50:40 PM
Ed,

ISupposedly, (last I knew anyway) the EAB has not made it into the thumb area.  I

Please look at the latest map: http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/MultiState_EABpos.pdf

I expect that the thumb has more positives, but that now they are probably finding one positive in a county in the LP of MI and moving on.  Sad, but I suppose true.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Ed

Quote from: Ron Scott on May 02, 2008, 04:46:52 PM
Ditto! to the above comments. The ecosystem situatiion as you decribe it sounds like its best to let nature take its course. Accept any natural regeneration that you get and continue timber stand improvement (TSI) efforts along the way.

Ed, why not get the local conservation district forester to take a look at it for some further advice if any, if you haven't already.

I will check into getting the local district forester to look at the woodlot, if we have one.
Any detailed inspection will have to wait awhile since I'm still underwater in many areas.

Thanks for the good info!

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!