iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much can you lift?

Started by Qweaver, September 07, 2011, 05:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I was given a big white oak tree today.  Professionals topped it and felled and bucked it to 8' 6" lengths for me.  The butt log is 32" small end 33" large end.  Very little taper.  I calculate 3000 lbs.  We were able to lift, carry down a fairly steep slope(backed down) and load it on my trailer with my 45hp John Deere 110.  We lifted by chains hooked about a foot behind the forks. I often lift 2000 lbs on the forks but don't think we could manage 3000...especially on a hill side.  It was a little scary for me but Dave said it was a "piece of cake".  Really nice log.  Now will my LT28 saw it?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

kelLOGg

Got pics? I parbuckle everything - onto the trailer and sawmill but I have to get right up to the log so I never dead lift like you did. Even then it can be a challenge especially if there is sweep in the log. I estimate I parbuckled a 4100 lb pine once. Many FFers will "weigh" in with huge figures.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

According to the Log Weight Calculator in the Forum Tool Box, figuring 32.5" straight through and 8'6", your log weighs 3,085.11 pounds.

Quite heavy for the 110. 

Nice log.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

Most I have moved is about three thousand...oak log...I decided shorter lumber was ok...lol.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

shelbycharger400

biggest stump we moved with a 4000 lb winch, a 6 ft bar, and a 6 ft home made log roller,   downhill too boot into the trailer.   
we used plywood under it and skidded the stump section on it cause it would dig in..

it was a solid boxelder..  36 at the base, and it forked at the top,   cut down it was 6 ft long, the 2 at the top where it forked was 25 in each.   It was growing 2 days before.

it made me 8 slabs at 3 in thick.. some also went to scrap.   each piece now dry is at or around 100 lbs. plus

so im guessing at least 3000 lb..   it was bending the  decking on the trailer, and it was 2 in thick, 8 in wide pine decking braced 2 ft on center.

nas

Sometimes a helpful neighbour is all you need.

This Oak butt was a good 5000lb.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Dave Shepard

The biggest log I've lifted so far was 47' long by 22" small end. The Lull on the right lifts 6,000, the loader will lift I think 22,000.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shelbycharger400

nas...
i wish i had that machine loadin mine.
I tell ya what tho... when you have a 3 ft dia log, on a 16 ft trailer, centered... ITS still big... and i still remember the stares drivin through town..lol

woodmills1

picked an oak 16 foot 2 days ago, loader would not lift it.  Loader rated at 4400 pounds in close, had to end for end it.  Was 25 inch diameter at 16 feet.  I estimate 40 to 50 1x6x16 from it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Qweaver

Now that we have the trailers full of logs, it's going to interesting to see if we can pickup the heavy ones with the forks and put them on the mill.  I know this is not heavy stuff for you guys with big iron but it's right at the bitter end for me and my JD 110.  Gonna be interesting sawing on the LT28 also...but just think of the pretty lumber.  My Oak-aholic wife is in total bliss thinking about where she is going to use it.  That one tree made 6 good saw logs and lots of fire wood.  I'll be busy today.  I've got a big whack of logs to get sawed before I go in to get the heart surgery.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sandhills

I know it's not logs, but I got in on something pretty neat a few weeks ago.  My neighbor had and old hog finishing shed that hadn't been used for years and wanted to make a storage shed out of it, we lifted a 44' x 126' roof 14' above the original 4' stem wall it sat on.  We used 12 telehandlers, 2 large skidloaders, and a couple tractors with front end loaders here and there.  It went remarkably smooth, and was quite a sight to see that roof 18' in the air being held by all those telehandlers, lifting it only took about 55mins., and 11 hours later we had it completely studded, wrapped, and braced.

Norm

Now that would've been cool to have seen. Did anyone get some pictures?

Qweaver

Here are some pics of my load of oaks.  This is a lot of timber for one tree.  I think the LT28 will be groaning when we load the big ones.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Me and a buddy loaded a 5000-lb water oak log (38" x 10' long) onto a trailer, by hand...And by hand, I mean with the help of two hand-cranked winches. Where there's a will, there's a way :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

DR Buck

When ever I see a thread about big logs, I have to go back to my first experience with BIG logs.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18503.msg269442.html#msg269442

This past spring I brought home 4  10ft white oak logs that were ~34" on the small end.   They were HEAVY.  My skid steer is rated at 3800 lbs lift and I couldn't lift them!  I had to push them with the skid steer up ramps onto the trailer.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!